Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stabil what's really in it ? >

Stabil what's really in it ?

Notices

Stabil what's really in it ?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stabil what's really in it ?

This is just too much, I'm taking the boat to fl.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOW ABOUT THIS

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Stabil what's really in it ?-sea-foam.gif  
Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Registered

Used the sea foam too , it works well to free up injectors.
Many diesel owners swear by it... BBB
Old 10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Stabil what's really in it ?

Just as gasoline is separated in cracking towers in a refinery it "cracks" down due to it's volatile vapors coming off over time in your gas tank.

In small tanks like the carb bowl for example it thickens into a varnish like compound and becomes corrosive and sticky.

Sta-Bil is one of the better products that simply reduces the gasoline's ability to "let vapors off" into the air and "crack-downward" into unwanted by-products.

I do not know the chemistry buy know it works very well from experience with the product. I use 1 1/4 the recommended amount and the gas is good for 6 months for sure. Beyond that who knows.

See ya!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 170 gallons of gas I bought at Dodge's Chicken and Gas in Hendersonville,TN in September of 2003. I put the normal amount of StaBil in it.

The boat was untouched until this August. Fuel smelled decent. Boat started and ran fine on it, and showed no tendency to ping or to idle badly. I was honestly expecting to have to drain the tank and run it in Lawnmower motors.

I was happy to see that it worked very well.

mc
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...bl=chem&id=171
Old 10-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Algae is primarily a diesel fuel problem.

I'm addressing specifically fuel containing 10% Ethanol (E10) is already cleaning your tank out by dissolving the varnish/gum already in the tank, epseciually in older boats that have some buildup. It will also eat up pre 1996 fuel hoses requiring you to replace them. If you have a fiberglass tank, you're i deep doo-doo. It's gonna turn to mush. The dissolved bad-stuff is then either gonna clog up your pickup screen or in my case with T-496HO's, the fuel goes thru the electric boost pum[p prior to the separator and will clog up that screen (as many have posted here in TQ&A). Not to mention due to phase separation, the fuel loses it's octane rating and your motor/s will run like crap.

The other thing is does is called "Phase Separation". In short order, the Ethanol bonds with any water molecules contained in the fuel creating large lobes of water which is heavier than fuel and falls to the bottom. Add dissolved gum/varnish and pure shots of water thru any electric pump/injectors and you've got problems.

Virginia started mandatory use of Ethanol as May 1st. Prior to having theirt tanks filled with the first batch gas stations/marina's had to empty their tanks and have them professionally cleaned out due to Ethanol's "intolerance" for water compared to the previous ingredient giving gas it's Octane levels. I've already been thru two boost pump this season. Initially my fuel looked dark reddish with lots of water in it and particles of crud. Took several separator filter changes and continued use of the additives I mentioned above to finally get it vcleaned up and the fuel looking right again (clear & golden).

Not sure how Star-Tron works, but if nothing else it's supposed to keep the water emulsified so it passes harmlessly. Pri-G is another product that rejuvenates old fuel. Stabil helps in keeping fresh fuel fresh. All three can be used together. Until more is learned after E10 has been out awhile I'm using all three until secure otherwise.

Regardless of what you use, do not use any product such as Dry-Gas etc. that contains Alcohol. You would only be adding fuel to the fire as Ethanol is already pure corn alcohol.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Stabil what's really in it ?

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
I have a 170 gallons of gas I bought at Dodge's Chicken and Gas in Hendersonville,TN in September of 2003. I put the normal amount of StaBil in it.

The boat was untouched until this August. Fuel smelled decent. Boat started and ran fine on it, and showed no tendency to ping or to idle badly. I was honestly expecting to have to drain the tank and run it in Lawnmower motors.

mc
Hope you continue to come around dude and more frequently too.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn

mc

Your saying its 3 years old?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

The stability comes from the way the molecules are aligned into a hex shape. All aromatic hydrocarbons are bonded in this way. This allows free radicals like oxidants to branch off of CH electrons in naptha, but not seperate out.
Open up a can of lighter fluid and see that it has not gone stale if sealed for even 20 years. Try that with gas !
I have been doing exhausting homework on petrochemical engineering, due to many falsely advertised products, recent problems with old boats, as well as this ethanol bomb that has been dropped in our lap.
Due to what I have discovered , I believe the water and ethanol have sped up the oxidation of the fuel. Also combined with the prior removal of most aromatic hydrocarbons from the fuel. I believe in the startron, but it is very overpriced and my customers may not use it due to the cost, and then not use thier boat and, I'll be changing carburetors, etc. again and again, and unknowingly expect me to get right over and do it for free.
I once found much info on Wikkipedia with molecular diagrams and history of naptha, as well as found some of this on google. It seems that it has been removed. Are people like me that figure out trade secrets the reason ?

Last edited by Big Block Billy; 06-14-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Oxidation I meant.

Quick Reply: Stabil what's really in it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.