Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gimble bearing came out with drive. Why? >

Gimble bearing came out with drive. Why?

Notices

Gimble bearing came out with drive. Why?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Gimble bearing came out with drive. Why?

I have a question. I took off my Bmax/bravo and the Gimble bearing came out still on the drive shaft stuck on it where the orings are.I felt the gimble housing where the gimble bearing presses into and it doesn't look like it spun .the bearing was flush with the yoak on the shaft.The bearing feels ok,not stiff,had plenty of grease..

the only thing I found wrong the rear motor mount bolts inside were loose.I could spin the flat washer under the bolt head. I have had this happen before[loose] . I have about 59 hours this season since I put the motors in. Also the bearing has 120 hours 2 seasons since new.

Any insight why?

Thanks
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gimble bearing came out with drive. Why?

I have seen this before where the bore would not hold the bearing, I felt that the bearing was cocked during install. A cocked bearing will distort the bore, much as I hate to say it changing out the shield is the only good fix.

Phil
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually this happens when the bearing is rusted to the driveshaft, which I'm sure is not the case here. The retaining ring is designed to expand when grease is pumped in the fitting on the side of the gimbal hsg. This helps keep the bearing in place. Also it should be a pretty tight fit and as MOP said, if it was cocked during installation it could have damaged the gimbal housing. The old gimbal bearings, maybe early 70's, used brass shims to hold them in place, so if the hsg is damaged maybe that could be tried.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Rob
VIP Member

The old one was tight coming out and the new one I put in felt tight. Maybe I did cock it putting it in,I have done them before.The shaft was clean and the 2 orings still on it.

Feeling the housing with my finger it doesn't feel like it spun.It was tight on the drive shaft I had to tap it off.it doesn't look like it spun on the shaft either.

Phil I don't mind replacing the bearing asmy but ,I don't want it to happen again,Some said something about putting green loctite on it going back together.

Just wondering if the rear motor mounts being loose did it???

Rob

Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the correct gimble bearing used???The large one with the red dot should be used with the Bmax.

Laken
Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Rob
VIP Member

yes it was orderd for the xr style drive had a red dot.its was a xr boat to start with and it matched what cam out.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil was talking about replacing the gimbal assembly not just the bearing. I would replace the bearing, might be hard getting locktite to adhere since the grease soaks into the housing. Try washing it out with acetone first.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What likely happened is the engine being loose was vibrating the shaft as you were running and started to "work" the bearing in the housing. If you can take a real precise measurement of the bore compare it to the other one and see how much material is missing-if it's too much the housing will need to be replaced. Sorry I have no idea how much is too much-might want to talk to a machinist and see what they think. Or Merc may have a spec.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:49 AM
MOP
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
The old one was tight coming out and the new one I put in felt tight. Maybe I did cock it putting it in,I have done them before.The shaft was clean and the 2 orings still on it.

Feeling the housing with my finger it doesn't feel like it spun.It was tight on the drive shaft I had to tap it off.it doesn't look like it spun on the shaft either.

Phil I don't mind replacing the bearing asmy but ,I don't want it to happen again,Some said something about putting green loctite on it going back together.

Just wondering if the rear motor mounts being loose did it???

Rob
I have a hunch that a bore mike would show you the irregularities, as to Loc Tite I to have used it on a couple that were not to bad. Thats one of those judgment calls, the ones I patched up were local fisherman different ball game.

Phil
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you installing them??? The Alignment tool with the adapter??? I've seen many a gimbals that people installed with a punch and hammer and really messed the housing up cuz it got a bit sideways.

Quick Reply: Gimble bearing came out with drive. Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.