Noise in motor/ black oil/water >

Noise in motor/ black oil/water

Notices

Noise in motor/ black oil/water

Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in motor/ black oil/water

I replaced the exhuast last week (cracked Gil replaced with cyclone), still have water in motor after a run today, compression good all around, temp remains low( need to use the smaller restrictor plate), and oil presser is fine (high). Motor is 2 hours old after complete rebuild. I pressure tested the oil cooler (2 times)-seems fine. I cant find the water problem and now a knock (more like a tick). rockers, springs and push rods appear fine, smoke coming out though today out of the lines to the carb. no backfiring, idles fine.. Oil milky on top, dipstick and oil filter is clear but black right after oil change -seems to smoke a bit more than intial breakin via value cover hose to carb. water seems ll though after 4 changes..any suggestions ?

Check and hear it if you have any suggustions please respond. thanks.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1364754409
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Noise in motor/ black oil/water

What was your preload set at on the rockers? Use a long Phillips head held against the allen keeper on the rocker and find the noisy one. Once you find it adjust it 1/4 turn more keeping track of the total turns. I would not go more than 1 1/4. If you need to go more than 3/4 or 1 try swapping the rocker.

May smoke a bit until broken in. Perhaps a bit more if too cold. I would get the temp up for break in.

Cut the oil filter open and check for debris. Have your builder look at it if you don't know what to look for. He would rather you come to him early than after it scraps. If oil starts turning black again send some in for an oil analysis.

Leakdown test?

Last edited by BadDog; 11-02-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smoke coming from under valve covers most likely steam-water burning off. Are you still getting water, is the oil level rising after it runs for awhile? Check spark plugs for water also. If you're still getting water in the engine, you must find the cause before anytlhing else. Eliminate the manifolds and pressure test the engine and heads together.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Registered

Replaced oil 4 times, seems ok now, no milk...THough it gets black pretty fast. No shavings or glitter...still have a tick, I cant isolate it, took valu covers off, rockers seem ok, just cant pinpoint the knock.
Timing seems like it jumps a bit, not steay on the 10 degree. runs rough. trid marvel oil down carb. nothing, made it a little quiterier for a min. cant seem to find any one around here that even knows what a leak down test is. in Tarpon. lots of inbreed.
one mechanic says my coil is probably cracked. Itouched a few wires on top of dsitrubutor and I get shocked. new wires...
think its electrical? this tick happened at 4500 rpm, lost power in gulf, was able to come in on a idle. barly here on an idle.
seems like the back of the motor in center.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Problem found.
HAd a small leak in intake manifold, would this be the cause of the failed piston?

Last edited by Dtile; 07-06-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the update...always like to find out what was wrong good or bad. Hope you didn't hurt the motor to bad...Good luck
Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

but whats the cause? See the symptom. motor was an hour old.