merlin big block lifters. >

merlin big block lifters.

Notices

merlin big block lifters.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default merlin big block lifters.

I presently have crane hyd. roller lifters. I am planing to swich to morel lifters. Will i need to change my pushrods. thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: merlin big block lifters.

when ever you change any part of the valve train, you should check the geometry and adjust as needed. Buy an adjustable pushrod set, and check them.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: merlin big block lifters.

Make sure you double check the lifter bores on the Merlin block, Have heard horror stories of them coming out too tight and grabbing lifters. Another reason to buy Dart blocks....BBB
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered

More than likely yes , do the magic marker trick after you think you have the right pushrods, and see if the roller in the rocker runs in the center of the valve tip. This is very important we don't want to side load a valve stem. BBB
Old 11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Be VERY careful with a merlin 2 block/morel lifters and std base circle hyd roller cam. When I put my last combo together I used a merlin 2 block w/morel lifters. The oil holes on center band in the lifters were approx .020 higher than other hyd lifters which resulted in virtually no oil pressure at idle hot under 800rpm's.The chamfer on the lifter bore top hid the fact oil hole was partially exposed,I ended up reducing the base circle on the cam .060 which moved lifter down .030 which fixed the oil pressure issue,Smitty
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

Unhappy Re: merlin big block lifters.

Maybe that's the real story why the lifter bores would get scuffed. I won't have to ever experience this or all of the other shortcomings of those blocks because, I prefer Dart, or even a Bowtie. BBB
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
Maybe that's the real story why the lifter bores would get scuffed. I won't have to ever experience this or all of the other shortcomings of those blocks because, I prefer Dart, or even a Bowtie. BBB
BBB,the oil feed hole height didn't cause the lifter to scuff,it just caused a vast amount of oil to bleed off at 700-800 rpm's idle. Howewver,the machine work on a merlin 2 block like mine has to be re-done OFTEN,my lifter bores were also tight along with cam tunnel being dimensionally wrong,mains being to tight when it came to bore size,etc. My block though was a blem,I spent more on it and strightening out the machine work than a prepped one would cost new but I'm leery of how good the "prepping" actually is because the blem on mine was 2 little spots of cast iron that had slight imperfections on the fuel pump boss and back edge where intake bottom had to seal. It seemed strange that ALL the machine work would be wrong TOO,Smitty
Old 11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have crane lifters in now. I just though since I am changing the cam i would up grade the lifters. I know now that a dart block would of been a better choice but the person I had do the machining(Steve Schmidt in Indy)said we would go ahead and use it.Also it is a merlin III. thanks again.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered

Post Re: merlin big block lifters.

Originally Posted by articfriends
BBB,the oil feed hole height didn't cause the lifter to scuff,it just caused a vast amount of oil to bleed off at 700-800 rpm's idle. Howewver,the machine work on a merlin 2 block like mine has to be re-done OFTEN,my lifter bores were also tight along with cam tunnel being dimensionally wrong,mains being to tight when it came to bore size,etc. My block though was a blem,I spent more on it and strightening out the machine work than a prepped one would cost new but I'm leery of how good the "prepping" actually is because the blem on mine was 2 little spots of cast iron that had slight imperfections on the fuel pump boss and back edge where intake bottom had to seal. It seemed strange that ALL the machine work would be wrong TOO,Smitty
Most merlin blocks can be considered blems unless re-worked and proven otherwise.... BBB
Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Morel designed the retro fit hyd rollers for the GM engines they located the pushrod seat of the lifter to fit OEM pushrod length. The body of the lifter is .300" tall to work with the late model blocks and aftermarket blocks taller lifter bores. So the Morel lifter will work in early, late, or aftermarket blocks.

You should check your pushrod length to prevent premature wear.

Chris

Quick Reply: merlin big block lifters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.