Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Globe blue impellers for the 496?? >

Globe blue impellers for the 496??

Notices

Globe blue impellers for the 496??

Old 11-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Globe blue impellers for the 496??

I' ve run them and liked them in gen6 engines- do they make one for the 496? p/n? source?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts
Default Re: Globe blue impellers for the 496??

Nobody here on OSO seems to like them.

They are a bit too soft and push less water; to which everyone that has used them here on OSO has experienced higher operating temps.

BUT:
http://www.globerubberworks.com/nav....ducts_impeller
Also, check with Fred at www.trickmarine.net . At different times, he has carried impellers.

I've got two seasons on my impellers and (I just never got around to changing them this past season), and they are still turning and pumping perfect when I winterized.

If you are going that deep, go ahead and install a Fresh Water Flush T-fitting into the red intake hose before the SWP.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Nobody here on OSO seems to like them.

They are a bit too soft and push less water; to which everyone that has used them here on OSO has experienced higher operating temps.

BUT:
http://www.globerubberworks.com/nav....ducts_impeller
Also, check with Fred at www.trickmarine.net . At different times, he has carried impellers.

I've got two seasons on my impellers and (I just never got around to changing them this past season), and they are still turning and pumping perfect when I winterized.

If you are going that deep, go ahead and install a Fresh Water Flush T-fitting into the red intake hose before the SWP.
Just to make sure- are you running the globes or stockers??

I've got thru transom pickups that should force the issue- water p gages on the to do list, rear bench is out getting redone (better colors) and hatch is off for same reason- now's the time to get into it.

I ran them on my whippled 454 mag and merc 575 which was also tweaked- but my t stats were drilled so temps nerver showed as an issue

I only hit salt once a yr, with closed cooling, do I really need the flush T's?? I could probably get a suction cup/plunger deal like the inboard ski boats use.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

Yep, I am running STOCK Mercury impellers. 2 seasons, going strong.

I HATE the earmuffs and jerry-rigs (like the plunger with a leg). I hear what you are saying though. My major gripe is they are just too difficult to work with when trying to winterize.

I hit salt and or brackish water about 2/3s of my outings, so I like the ease of flushing, and I also hook up the hose before I change the oil to suspend the particles, and warm the oil for easier drainage.

I did not see any drop in water pressure or rise in temps with my T-fittings installed, so I would say go ahead and put them in. (Might be beneficial when you resell.) The WORST part is getting the red intake hose completely loose from where it exits the transom assembly. That back fitting/ridge was a BEAR to release, so be aware of such. (Cost me a few knuckles.)
Old 12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Sydwayz]Nobody here on OSO seems to like them.

This is absolutely not true

Matt Koenig
Business Manager
Marine Products Division
Globe Composite Solutions