Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
reporting and resizing heads- how much hp gain? >

reporting and resizing heads- how much hp gain?

Notices

reporting and resizing heads- how much hp gain?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: reporting and resizing heads- how much hp gain?

Originally Posted by Donzi502
Wind up the boost, wont it acheive the same thing. 4 pounds is not much. we run 9 with no real worries. Our engine guy did hog the exaust ports on the 512 with a 8-71 and it made a hell of a difference. Not 100HP though. I would definatly work the exaust, not the intake so much and wind the boost and maaybe play with cam timing some. One more thing, do the exaust ports and the NOISE, its glourious! Jas

My thinking of it is.... If I am at 9lbs now and I get the heads to flow allot better which will reduce the boost #.In Which would be less heat making it more efficient .Maybe making the same power that was at 9 but now is at 7 1/2 -8lbs.

In Theory?
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
My thinking of it is.... If I am at 9lbs now and I get the heads to flow allot better which will reduce the boost #.In Which would be less heat making it more efficient .Maybe making the same power that was at 9 but now is at 7 1/2 -8lbs.

In Theory?
Rob
If the exaust works better the cam overlap will make the intake work better as well, You may have to retard the cam a little to make the most of it. Our engine guy is very good. He heavily worked the exaust and it made a hell of a diference, i couldnt beleive the intake port making that much diference. Dont forget that the natural port design is for exaust that curves down, all ous all curve up. The bottom of our exaust port has been filled and the top worked hard. Must work. We get 900hp with a megablower and merlin heads. There is nothing flash really. Just put together well. Jas
Old 01-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donzi502
Wind up the boost, wont it acheive the same thing.
It would seem like it, but no, actually it doesn't. SC's are incredibly inefficient, and even more so as the boost goes up. If the heads flow as good as they can, you'll gain HP with no bad side effects.

Just crank up the boost, and now you've increased the charge temperature, requiring less advance or compression or higher octane. Also, more power gets sucked from the crank to turn the blower (with all the crank and belt durability that goes with it.

The difference is readily apparent when you play with SC vs. Turbo. You need 50% more boost to make the same power as the turbo. The same is true for an engine that's built right with a SC. You can make a lot more power with a lot less boost and a lot less headaches (or a lot more power with the same boost)
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Registered

Strip, I never did a back to back with unported vs ported but I ported a set of GM 990 headsfor a guy with a 36 apache. They made 815 hp and the boat gos low mid 90's with 6-7 lbs boost(vortech). We did a cam change too.

Last edited by JimV; 01-27-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: wrong hp number
Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JimV
That's why I was asking questions. I could believe 100hp it if the heads he has now are turds. I see a lot of turd heads come in my shop

I am going to do a refresh / build up in march on my 500s
what can i gain in my stock 500 hp carb heads, and what kind of dollar to have them done. and what other changes like cam intake and so on ,pm me if you like.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

Im working on some hp 500 heads and will dyno in the next week or two. I can post dyno numbers when their finished. The exhaust ports picked up an impressive 20% airflow or 60 cfm with a valve change and some minor port work.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JimV
Im working on some hp 500 heads and will dyno in the next week or two. I can post dyno numbers when their finished. The exhaust ports picked up an impressive 20% airflow or 60 cfm with a valve change and some minor port work.
Keep me posted as i may want to send you my heads to be done.

thanks rick