Best clamp on mufflers

Notices

Best clamp on mufflers

Old 12-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best clamp on mufflers

Originally Posted by 10x
Use the Drew Marine Shotgun mufflers. I used them for years and they were fine. Plus, when you want to make some noise, like from open exhaust, I cut a little short piece of plastic hose, like 1/8th" stuff, just as long as the plunger that goes in and out of the spring loaded cylinder.
When you hand open the flapper, the plunger comes out of the cylinder, and it's spring loaded to shut when you let go, or at idle when there's little pressure. While it's open, just measure the length of the little rod sticking out of the cylinder, cut a piece of 1/8th" clear plastic hose, take a razor and cut a slot all the way down one side. That way you can open up the hose, and push it onto the plunger, and the plunger won't go back into the cylinder, thus keeping the flap at the back wide open.

I would do this once we left the dock and exited the harbor. Then I had complete open exhaust. If we came into the harbor late in the evening, I would shut off the engines outside of the harbor, and take off the 4 plastic hoses on the mufflers, and it would be quieter again.

If you're interested in that set up, give me a pm, and I'll send you my phone # and I'll explain how it works. You can have the best of both worlds, quiet at the dock, well they're really not THAT quiet, but a little quieter than open headers, and open exhaust out on the lake while running.

Frank
I will check into these. Your system sounds like it works really well but it seems like alot of work. Do they go quiet on their own? Are you modifying them when you want full flow all the time?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Registered

GLH, thought about the down turns but just don't know if I'm crazy about the look. Still an option though. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMITHBOY
Sent you a pm, thanks!
TRY AGAIN. MY INBOX WAS FULL
Old 12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Here's the new CMI Muffler picture:

Ateco will need your exhaust size and HP.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Here's the new CMI Muffler picture:

Ateco will need your exhaust size and HP.
Are they adjustable so you can have a low roar at idle but not super loud as straight pipes? They do open all the way at 3000 rpm?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered

There's a few good choices out there. You might want to look at the CMI'S, Drews as Frank suggested and also the GIBSONS
Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Gaffrig's on my TG. Stelling's, 4.5 in. tail-pipes. It sounds very good idling and my friends say running along at speed beside me it sounds excellent. When switched closed they quiet down alot. My friend has the identical set with almost no time on them. If you are interested let me know, I'll put you in touch with him.
I think they were around $2,500 for the pair with the pump and hose/fitting kit.
See attached picture for what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails Best clamp on mufflers-98-tg-rear.jpg  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Registered

CMI Mufflers are on sale now with free shipping.

CMI Mufflers

Beat the January 1 price increase.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:31 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

I´ve run the CMI Sound Eliminators this season on my 525EFI in a 25 Outlaw. They are really good at taking the sound level down and taking the sharpness off the tone at idle. They open up between 2500 and 3000 rpm, as the boat comes on plane, so the really agressive sound cuts in as the acceleration starts. I´ve run the boat with and without and reckon that there´s maybe a loss of 50 rpm if at all. I hit the 5350 rpm revlimiter more readily without them and at over 80 mph gps. I love them. I think the boat sound better with them, at full throttle and under hard acceleration. They look good and are easy to keep clean.
Only one complaint - they rattle at idle - producing a noise that doesn´t sound so good, but disappears once over 1000 rpm. I´m working on that one.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
I´ve run the CMI Sound Eliminators this season on my 525EFI in a 25 Outlaw. They are really good at taking the sound level down and taking the sharpness off the tone at idle. They open up between 2500 and 3000 rpm, as the boat comes on plane, so the really agressive sound cuts in as the acceleration starts. I´ve run the boat with and without and reckon that there´s maybe a loss of 50 rpm if at all. I hit the 5350 rpm revlimiter more readily without them and at over 80 mph gps. I love them. I think the boat sound better with them, at full throttle and under hard acceleration. They look good and are easy to keep clean.
Only one complaint - they rattle at idle - producing a noise that doesn´t sound so good, but disappears once over 1000 rpm. I´m working on that one.
Thanks for the info. Looks like the CMI's are the best choice so far. Do they both rattle or do you think you have one that went bad.

Quick Reply: Best clamp on mufflers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.