Bravo/Blackhawk parts interchangeability >

Bravo/Blackhawk parts interchangeability

Notices

Bravo/Blackhawk parts interchangeability

Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo/Blackhawk parts interchangeability

Are the upper drive gears and internals for the driveshaft housing interchangeable between a blackhawk and a bravo 1? I saw that some of the part numbers are the same, but I am having a tough time with the gears themselves.

Thanks in advance,

Rene
Old 12-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bravo/Blackhawk parts interchangeability

Well, I took the plunge and bought the gearset anyway. It came with a complete, assembled clutch, upper shaft, input shaft, bearings and seals, yoke and ujoints and gearset for $500 (all brand new). The research I did points me to the gears in a bravo diesel being the same as a blackhawk. My only concern is that I can't read the serial numbers on my drive. I can only find them on the Bravo sticker and they are a bit rubbed out. If anyone knows where to find them on the casting, I would appreciate it. Any input on the install would be appreciated. It appears to be very straightforward except for the service bulletin which changes shim sizes on the new gearsets. I'll know more when I get the gears in hand.

Rene
Old 12-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard conflicting stories. Some say the XR gears fit, some say the diesel gears fit. Guess you'll find out soon enough. I do know that there are three different housings out there, so maybe that is part of your problem. The serial number should be on the side of the drive. I just can't recall exactly where. You might be having trouble finding it because they are often filled with paint. If you have other BH questions, try calling Performance Marine. Talk to Gary Meisenberg Sr.. You'll never find anybody more knowledgeable. After all, he only designed the thing. 920-236-4220
Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Cord. I got the new gears today and have done some measuring. The gears are an older model set, but they will do. Does anyone know what the proper backlash should be for the upper gears. My casting is stamped 94 for both the top and bottom races. I measured the backlash on the old gears (slightly damaged) and got .0095" for the forward gear. That sounds like a reasonable number. Iinstalled the new setup with the old .094 shims and got .008". The service manuals don't really tell you how to set up the upper, just how to assemble it. I may end up having to set them up with dye. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rene
Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Registered

Well, I officially am declaring the outdrive rebuild a success. The blackhawk gears work just fine. Downside is that I picked up a misfire while I was running today. Off to the parts store in the morning for some new plugs...

Rene
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's proably the XR gears that don't fit. That's exactly what my dealer told me.