Notices

Pre Lubers

Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Pre Lubers

Preluber for the last 10yrs... Not needed, but it sure is handy for priming a motor that has sat for any lenght of time.
I use the preluber everytime I start the motor.. Maybe for the next ten I wont use it and see if it makes a diff.
I know a lot of guys dont, but I know of instances where they should have. Then of course we are a proud lot and most guys wont tell you when their stuff breaks..

D ick
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pre lube seems absolutely a logical and good thing to me. After sitting 3 months, it has to be a good for the moving assembly !

I can't understan why more are not in use.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I agree with using a Pre-Luber. Might not be necessary but it cant hurt anything.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Pre Lubers-thursday-april-10-2003-image-1-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered

I must agree with wobble. I've hit my pre-luber with the valve covers off and have seen oil. Not to mention I've been using my pre-luber for a couple of years and the two times that I've had to tear down my motor the bearings have looked great.

Just my two cents.....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

KE Lubers, everytime time I fire up, pulls/holds 30 psi cold, drains 14qts in under 30-40 sec. Wouldn't be without them.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

I do not know if you need them or not, but the man that builds the motors for our race boat will not let a new motor he build leave his shop unless you have one on board.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've ever disassembled a properly built and maintained marine engine that was run within it's intended parameters you'd notice an almost total absense of wear.

I just took apart a 330hp 7.4 with 1300 hrs, many at WOT and was absolutely amazed at the the almost total lack of wear. Good oil, changed at proper intervals, and it just didn't matter that the boat sat a couple weeks between uses for 13 years.

The only time marine engines wear out is when they're spun too fast, run too hot, or other high power stuff. There's really no startup wear.

Prelubers have long been one of those "can't be a bad thing" add ons. I'd say in a marine invironment with good synthetic oil they've got to be close to useless. Oh yeah, and if you're too cheap to use a good synthetic, why are we even talking about a preluber.

But like they say "can't be a bad thing", and they're certainly less expensive than a lot of other stuff we put on our boats And if you get the right kind, they make oil changes faster.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every motor I 've ever taken apart has always still had a film of oil on all the bearings. Motors that have sat months before tear down.

I'm not to worried about the motor that sits idle for a few weeks. Between the oil film and the couple sec delay for pressure to register at startup, not sure I will ever have one.

Bottom line, can't hurt anything though.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

This is how my ESP Pre-Luber turned out.
Attached Thumbnails Pre Lubers-esp-pre-luber.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pre Lubers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.