Notices

thoughts and opinions pantera or sunsation

Old 01-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: thoughts and opinions pantera or sunsation

Originally Posted by Payton
IMHO fit and finish goes to Sunsation. Strength of hull is equal. Pantara is a true deep V ,Sunsation has a pad and I think a 23* hull, so It will be faster and the Pantara better inthe rough.That also depends on who is driving.

Now, the guys that say rough doesn't matter unless you are on the ocean, haven't boated on the Great Lakes!
not to knock sunsation but there is no way the strength is equal, pantera has been building ocean going race boats for years.....Although a sunsation is a good boat, see what it looks like in ten years compared to a pantera.....ie stress cracks.....
Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for everyones opinions, just to clear some stuff up, i live in the panhandle of FL, where we have emerald coast poker run, so im sure u know the ocean isnt very far, but even our bay when the wind picks up, its nasty out, so i just want to get a nice ride, right now i have a 25OL, which doesnt do bad but id like to get bigger.. one thing im really considering though is the pantera has a custom motor, not so sure i want to deal with that, could mean problems, turn key is always a plus!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

sell the power and buy a stock one if it worries ya that much.....As long as you have someone check the motor out,leak down compression test etc......Custom is a good thing my friend....Plus about half way through the season youll want more...
Old 01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Banned
Gold Member

You could always find a 28 Pantera with a 500 or 525 for sale.

Like Nocig said, you'll always want more.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Registered

If you are running offshore then maybe a 28-30'er with twin small blocks (Scarb 29?) would be the way to go. You could always limp back home with one engine...just a thought.

On a smaller lake w/out big water the Sunsation would be a great choice. I got to drive a mid cabin 288 w/ HP500. Ran 74mph on GPS with 5 of us in the boat...not too bad!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 110 Posts

pantera..not knocking sunsation , they do build a beautifull boat , but for the gulf and the pass at destin , pantera all the way..
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

The Pantera is a true V and the Sunsation 288 is a Pad boat.
I can't see a pad boat ever being a better ride then a true V -size equal. Plus the Sunsation has the molded in Swim Platform so the Pantera has more running surface.

The 288 is a great boat and Sunsation Customer Service is second to none (even if you don't buy new) plus they are a very finacially secure operation. Not sure Pantera is close to being in the same leauge in those 2 avenues.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

The Sunsation bottom is 24 degrees, and yes has a small pad on the bottom. and helps give it a little more speed and allows it to ride evenly if running on a glass like lake without the constant leaning side to side.

I've owned both the 288 and currently a 32 and and I've run them both in the constant confused crap of the southenr Chesapeake Bay/Atlantic ocean and never got stress cracks of any sort to date. If Pantera gets a better ride it's in it's weight which equates to slower, and less fuel economy. But the bottom line is you're talking a 28 footer (not actually a big boat). Go out in any snot and you're going to get your butt handed to you regardless of what make boat you're in so don't let anyone fool you.

If you were a friend of mine living nearby I'd tell you in general......Custom built motors in used boats are always a worry. Unless you're a handy guy, or like to pull motors, or deal with shopping and installing you're own motors, know a great cheap "marine" mechanic, etc. etc. don't do it. You'll only get disenchanted and end up having a horrible boating experience at some point once the engine craps out as well as end up way upside down. The reliability factor of whatever boat, is what will make your weekends in the long run. Like someone said before, if you can stretch it, go for a nice stock twin 29-34 footer for the rough (NOTHING beats length when it's rough NOTHING) that has good reliability and ease of maintenance, meaning the local certified Merc guy can fix it.

Otherwise go out and and see which boat fits YOU best by riding. The rest is economics.

Last edited by Reckless32; 01-08-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

that is the biggest load of poo i have ever read.....There is no way a 28 pantera rides like crap in the ruff stuff....Those boats run better when its ruff.......Also like i said before if the engine is checked out by a knowlegable engine guy there is nothing to worry about...........Plus the local merc guy is going to break it off in your buttocks the first chance he gets.....It all boils down to what type of guy you are, due you like to tinker and have a sense of (hey i did this) or due you just want to be the guy who buys it and act like he knows it all...........
Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
OPA
Registered

all i know is i have taken my 28 pantera in ruff stuff that bigger boats would'nt attempt and it has alway's performed like a wave crusher for me, in the atlantic, gulf, and all the great lakes in michigan.