Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: check my engine builders cam choice

The man is crazy!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

When I saw the cam specs, I thought it was huge, but thought it might be going in a 632ci or something. Even the old cam looks like its on the large end of the spectrum for a 540.

You have 2 of OSO's most respected engine builders telling you your builder is nuts.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need an ice axe to chip the snow off the lobes and a magnet to get all the broken valvetrain parts out of the sump. Jas
Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

i dont know a lot about the whole cam thing, i can assemble motors but i dont know everthing, but this did seem a little extreme......The problem that i am having is that he paid for the camshaft and the gear drive.......A total of almost a thousand dollars......I believe he felt guilty for the problems i have had in the past when he was helping me............Now he says we are going to build you a (bullet proof thunper)...........I have the whole boat just about perfect,m paint next week,gauges,dash, interior,exhaust, the whole nine yards.........................I just want to have a summer with no problems...............
Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When an engine builder hears "540 CID and I want to be able to turn it 6000 to 6500" then the figures you have posted start poping into the engine builders head. Problem is in a boat you don't have the luxury of a stall converter, clutch, or mulitple gear sets and all of these are what the majority of engine builders get to take advantage of to get an engine to its powerband. Ever taken your boat engine to 5000 rpm and then drop the bravo in gear? Marine engine builders have the deck stacked against them in making power because of rpm limit, wet exhaust, and the need for an engine to idle at or below 1000 rpm to go into gear. A boat engine has to go from 900-1000 rpm to 6000 pulling on a set gear ratio.

The cam that has been selected will not work for your application. I would suggest having it sent back and re-ground with spec's more marine friendly.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i really appreciate you guys.......I am really in a pucked up position right know................I might just slide the cam back out and order a new one..............
Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
i really appreciate you guys.......I am really in a pucked up position right know................I might just slide the cam back out and order a new one..............
You only get a limited boating season where you are.You wouldnt need any down time due to lifter and spring failure which will result from that profile.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

guys as always you give me the good advice................Now is there someone locally i can send the cam to....It is brand new i imagine they can cut it down........MIchigan area buy the way....................I really dont care where it has to be shipped i just want it right...........

Also how about some other suggestions on what grind......`

I will pay for the knowledge pm if ya want to help
Old 01-09-2007, 11:25 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Wesco Racing engines, they're located just south of Grand Rapids in Jenison Mi. Ask for Dave Wesseldyk, tell him what you're doing, and what you want to do, and I'm sure he can give you some professional advice. He might even have something on the shelf there that'll fit your needs.
His shop # is 616-662-2250

Frank

So far, you've gotten excellent advice here from what I've read. Listen to it. It's your money, your boat, and your time that'll be down if you let this guy get his hands on your equiptment.
From what I've read about his ideas so far, I would'nt let him work on my kids bike.
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Quick Reply: check my engine builders cam choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.