Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers >

Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Notices

Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

[QUOTE=speedreeder;2002561]Is the only reason people say that most of the "manifold type" headers won't fit a 496 is because of the short riser or ?? I installed a 496 in a '96 Baja 240, closed cooled and put on regular EMI Thunder headers. It is on it's third year now with no problems!
Now that you say that, the only thing that I remember is that the o2 sensor can not be installed without drilling and welding a nut for it but again I am not sure, I gues I have to do some more research.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About Mercury and Illmore" can't be wrong", CMI builds a nice product, but they do have limitations and they can and do leak

- I see where McDonalds has sold billions and billions of hamburgers, but that does not mean the food is good for you -
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've had two sets of CMI headers crack/leak on stock 525's. From reading this thread, it sounds very common. This is on a pleasure boat, not racing. Do you guys pull the headers and check them on a regular basis? Do you drain them after every use?

Any info would be appreciated, first boat with headers and they are driving me nuts, not to mention $$$.

Thanks, Mark
Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
KE makes a nice perfroming product. I doubt they perfrom as well as anyones headers system though.Kirk
Many CMI exhaust systems that I have seen have no where near equal length 32" runners. They are mearly a tube style "manifold". That is a pretty bold statement saying a 32" equal length runner KE manifold can't keep up with a header.

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Mercury Racing and Ilmor can't be wrong on their exhaust choice now can they?
Kirk
Isn't Mercury Racing the same group of people that chose the valve springs for the original HP500's and the Gil exhaust with the low risers for the same engine?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

If you look at kieths web site his chart claims to out perform all tube headershttp://www.keitheickert.com/products/Exhaust/ke-exhaust.htm
Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

Not sure I have a whole lot to add here (no experiece with the Ke's), but it seems like a lot of people are having some problems with the definition of a header, and I have some experience with custom headers, having hand fabricated more than a few sets.

The only things that matter are runner length and diameter as well as how tight the bends are. It doesn't matter what the header is made of! Stock low performance manifolds are bad because they have no runner length and dump into a log that is very bad for both flow and reversion. Then the exhaust passes through a horribly tight riser that cuts flow further.

If the KE's are a good design and the correct length FOR YOUR PARTICULAR ENGINE then they will easily perform as well as hand fabricated SS headers. However the KE's are only one length/diameter so they would reguire a complete retooling to work well on a custom racing engine.

Race teams with any real $$$ spend a great deal of time on trial and error, getting exhaust to tune properly. If they could do this easily without hyper expensive tooling changes and end up with the same performance, but better reliability I'm sure they would.

Personaly, if I were building a recreational big dollar big block and didn't KNOW what would work best with my particular application, I'd certainly go with the KE's if they were more reliable.

PS. I like the comments regarding "bling" factor and how much Mercury Racing pays for the CMI's. Marine exhaust (along with most go fast stuff) seems to be priced on the 1000% markup theory as apposed to the 100% markup that exists in auto hotrodding. I'm guessing MR pays a couple hundred for them and CMI still makes a profit.

PPS. Extrude hone processes are worthless on anything other than the worst castings. The material the process removes ends up being directionaly incorrect (ie. takes off material where it should actually leave it).
Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=speedygonzalez;2003019]
Originally Posted by speedreeder
Is the only reason people say that most of the "manifold type" headers won't fit a 496 is because of the short riser or ?? I installed a 496 in a '96 Baja 240, closed cooled and put on regular EMI Thunder headers. It is on it's third year now with no problems!
Now that you say that, the only thing that I remember is that the o2 sensor can not be installed without drilling and welding a nut for it but again I am not sure, I gues I have to do some more research.
HEY speedy, Forgot to say I was running a MarinePower 496 not a Mercury.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a cutaway pic of when I made the headers. They are all 31 to 32 inches in length with a 4 into 2 into 1 collector.
Typically it performed like any good 2 X 32 header with frequently a little extra torque around 3600 to 4400 rpm because the 4-2-1 collectors which typically broaden the torque band. The runners actually have an oval profile with an area equal to a 2" round header. Currently we are using them on 1250 HP motors.
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers-pfcutaway.jpg  
Old 01-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Keep in mind for anyone considering keith eickerts in a procharged or similar mounted supercharger,there is not enough clearence to bolt the blower on due to the fwd bend of the casting,Smitty
Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcarpman
PS. I like the comments regarding "bling" factor and how much Mercury Racing pays for the CMI's. Marine exhaust (along with most go fast stuff) seems to be priced on the 1000% markup theory as apposed to the 100% markup that exists in auto hotrodding. I'm guessing MR pays a couple hundred for them and CMI still makes a profit.
As a manufacturer of many stainless parts including a lot of 316L tube products (not headers) I can tell you with confidence you are way off base on your cost estimate. You can't even purchase the material for a set of headers for that amount of $ much less the labor to bend, weld, polish, R&D, equip cost, etc etc etc... Not saying Merc isn't high priced, they are. But no where near that level of markup exists in any of this stuff.

Quick Reply: Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.