Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Notices

Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Originally Posted by saxman
Here is a cutaway pic of when I made the headers. They are all 31 to 32 inches in length with a 4 into 2 into 1 collector.
Typically it performed like any good 2 X 32 header with frequently a little extra torque around 3600 to 4400 rpm because the 4-2-1 collectors which typically broaden the torque band. The runners actually have an oval profile with an area equal to a 2" round header. Currently we are using them on 1250 HP motors.
Dennis
Hello Dennis, how you doing
Old 01-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rexone
As a manufacturer of many stainless parts including a lot of 316L tube products (not headers) I can tell you with confidence you are way off base on your cost estimate. You can't even purchase the material for a set of headers for that amount of $ much less the labor to bend, weld, polish, R&D, equip cost, etc etc etc... Not saying Merc isn't high priced, they are. But no where near that level of markup exists in any of this stuff.
Yeah, I was thinking more about that after I wrote it. I guess it really just depends on the amount made. I know about what it costs to make custom SS single wall headers, and know how cheaply they can actually be produced if you're getting them made in reasonable sized batches, but I guess I really don't have any clue how many sets of headers CMI makes or MR buys. Is it 10 a year or 500? If they're making them in decent sized batched, you can setup the benders and crank them out pretty quickly. Of course welding up the double walls has to be interesting. All the more reason for others to step up and make KE style cast aluminum headers.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had occasion to talk to a race program individual that stated some years back they tested every header package that they could get their hands on and found that the CMI's produced the best hp. They also tried the KE cast manifold which worked well producing hp but experienced "cracking" of the internal cast runners and hydrauliced a motor as a result. Since reliability was a top priority they dropped future consideration of the KE manifold.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
I had occasion to talk to a race program individual that stated some years back they tested every header package that they could get their hands on and found that the CMI's produced the best hp. They also tried the KE cast manifold which worked well producing hp but experienced "cracking" of the internal cast runners and hydrauliced a motor as a result. Since reliability was a top priority they dropped future consideration of the KE manifold.

Interesting, I heard some other reasons ??
Guess what they use it over Sea's in there racing circuit.

Cougarman
Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cast aluminum manifolds are no more likely to melt than aluminum heads or aluminum pistons, assuming they have proper cooling. Stopping water flow to either the SS or cast manifolds under high load conditions can result in failure.

For the people who swear by the stainless exhaust and say they never leak probably have never had them off and pressure tested them with 30 psi to prove weather they leak or not. And for those who have hydroed and engine - well those guys already know they leak.

I know from experience that a quality SS manifold is relatively low risk item, however my personal experience is that aluminum is less likely to fail all things being equal.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Rage, interesting comment as I had good inside info that Merc had made offers to KE to purchase his pipes. KE opted not to go there. I have over 400 hours on a pair and I have run at least 750 hp into them and for the last 200 hours over 900. Not a single issue. However, I do keep them supplied with water to keep them properly cooled.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (02-16-2024)
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bob
Rage, interesting comment as I had good inside info that Merc had made offers to KE to purchase his pipes. KE opted not to go there. I have over 400 hours on a pair and I have run at least 750 hp into them and for the last 200 hours over 900. Not a single issue. However, I do keep them supplied with water to keep them properly cooled.
All I can say is this what I was told was from a reliable source. Maybe just bad luck or like you say cooling problems. Sounds like others are racing the KE with success and reliability. Of course I have also seen similar conflicting comments on the CMI's. Some say they have never had a problem and others say the can not keep them on the boat. Seems like more are reporting problems than not. I was personnally planning on purchasing the KE until I discovered that they do not make one for the 496 and have no plans to.

An addenum, I asked KE if they still Extrude Hone the tubes. They do not.

Annother comment on why Mercury is using CMI's is maybe they make the most hp.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cougarman
Interesting, I heard some other reasons ??
Guess what they use it over Sea's in there racing circuit.

Cougarman
What " other reasons"?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

What " other reasons"?

Perhaps all I should say is the European Teams love them.

Cougarman
Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another comment on why Mercury is using CMI's is maybe they make the most hp.
If that is the case, then why would they use Edelbrock heads? We all know that they are not the best available.

525-550 horsepower is not rocket science. They are buying what makes the boat look faster/better and what they can get the best deal on. With the outrageous prices Mercury Racing charges for their product, it has to look like it is different or better than regular Mercury product. I don't think a guy that is willing to pay 300-500k for a boat w/ 525's and goes as far as to have airbrushed battery hold downs, wants a big old clunky set of KE's under the hatch. It doesn't matter how much horsepower, how good or how reliable they are. I do know that if I had a set of 525's in a 3 year old boat and needed to buy $10,000 worth of new headers because they were leaking, I would be the most pissed off guy on the internet.

Quick Reply: Kieth Eckert Manifolds make more power than CMI Headers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.