Question about dry exhaust??? >

Question about dry exhaust???

Notices

Question about dry exhaust???

Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about dry exhaust???

I have a set s/m dry and have a 1'' bypass and small exit out the top end of the pipes every loud 670hp . I just stay offshore and out of harbors
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about dry exhaust???

The thermostat outlets on standard cooling are 1". All the water goes through those before exiting the exhaust. Those 1" exhaust outlets are adequate to handle the waterflow.
I've had dry, they are loud! If you add clamp on mufflers, consider dumping some water just prior to the mufflers. Some dry exhausts already have a small hole at the inside back bottom that does this as well as allowing the pipe to drain after shutoff. The water will quiet it down and may prevent discoloration of the mufflers.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered

I like loud. It keeps you from having to listen to all the bull sh!t coming from the back seat.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

1" exits are fine, and you can always make them bigger. If you don’t have a water pressure gauge, get one and keep the pressure below 25psi. My Stellings have 1" exits, and with 1000+HP I had no issue with flow.

Unless you have a canopied cockpit the noise is just too much. I'm talking serious hearing loss. One ride with no mufflers on mine made my ears ring for hours. Now I dump water at the tips into mufflers, and it just stays legal at idle. But its plenty loud on plane.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 409 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
I like loud. It keeps you from having to listen to all the bull sh!t coming from the back seat.

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I run full dry CMI headers and pipes. The water and exhaust doesnt mix at all. The water dumps out of bungs ( I guess about 1" or so ) welded to the tails and thru the transom by a thru hull fitting. I have no by-pass valves nor do I have any pressure problems. Much like your 525's, I run closed cooling. The down side, they were very loud, too loud. At the time, GGB was still around. I got a set of their Extreme mufflers. They made a big difference. Its still loud, but its bareable. The best part, no power loss at all after adding the mufflers. Too bad they are out of business.
I have the exact same setup and love it, but we also added the GGB mufflers. I think according to Fred I got the last pair they built.

It was fun for a few months, but gets old. No one wants to run behind you and the folks at restaurants on LKN were complaining.

The mufflers really do take the edge off, and it is still much louder then stock.

I have ran water pressure gauges for years and there was no change in pressure from stock to the drive set up on our boat.
Attached Thumbnails Question about dry exhaust???-dsc09815.jpg   Question about dry exhaust???-dsc09854.jpg   Question about dry exhaust???-misc-boating-2006-411.jpg  

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 02-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I hope I haven't made a mistake by going dry. I was just sick of having the quietest boat out on the lake...most single engines were louder than my twin engine. No joke, people used to say "here comes the quiet boat" or "hey why don't you start that thing" when it was already running. I guess if it is too loud I can always slip in the mufflers but then I am back to square one and out $2500. Is it really that loud? I'm a little concerned now since I don't have a swim step to cover the exhaust, it just hangs out there. My wife is going to kick my ass if it is too loud.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

Prepare to get your ass kicked!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

I do have an intercom system on the boat, maybe I'll just be using it a little more now.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whiteknuckle
Prepare to get your ass kicked!
Oh you’re in for it.

You can buy dry muffler inserts that take the edge off. But you’re still going to be extremely loud.

Quick Reply: Question about dry exhaust???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.