new dana marine 496 ehaust

Notices

new dana marine 496 ehaust

Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up new dana marine 496 ehaust

has anyone seen it, looks like they actually have some dyno #'s, pretty good one's at that, and u dont have to move anything! i think raylar was in on this as well, maybe he will chime in with his opinions, might just be what the Dr. ordered..

trying to compare these with the eddie marine ones?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Dana Exhaust for 496's

Yes, we were in on helping Dana set their flow torque exhaust manifold headers and risers up for the 496 packages. I can tell you that these manifolds and risers have individual runners that merge in the stainless riser into an actual merge type collector and that these headers really work well. We set up a stock 496mag on the dyno tested using SAE standards and 89 octane pump gas and produced 380HP with stock Merc exhausts, we then bolted on the Dana system on the dyno and made an addtional 48HP and about 60 ft. lbs of addtional torque. We then put a stock 496HO on the dyno and measured approx. 428HP with stock Merc exhaust. We then again bolted on the Dana system and made an addtional 42HP. We then took the stock 496HO and installed our BCK103 kit on the dyno and with the Dana Exhaust made approx. 565HP. These tests were made on a calibrated DTS-2500 dyno and the numbers were corrected numbers with temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and fuel specific gravity corrections made for the actual outputs. We were running the motors with full accessories including the raw water pumps, closed cooling and the exhuast running with full raw water connections and a wet exhaust. We wanted to make sure that these tests were conducted exactly as Mercury would conduct their base tests. As for the simplicity of their kit I know Bob at Dana personally installed this same system on a new 496 equipped 23' Eliminator and ran actual before and after tests in the water. The speeds and performance increases of this boat in the water reflected the actual 40-50HP increase the Dana exhaust systems produce. I understand the boat picked up about 4-5 mph with just the Dana setup. I can vouch for the fact that Bob at Dana is not an ace mechanic, however he was able to install the Dana 496 exhaust system in the boat on the launch ramp in just over three hours. I think that speaks volumes about how simple and clean their 496 exhaust kit is. We at Raylar consider ourselves pretty picky about the products we endorse, but I can assure you that you will not be disappointed with Dana's 496 Exhaust header system. Oh, its a pretty nice look'in by the way. Dana has an actual live video of the testing as well as copies of the actual dyno reports for the tests for those that feel the need to investigate further.
Hope this information will help interested boaters with their decsions on what exhaust upgrades they may make to their 496 engines.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to take a look at this thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=152173
Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rittsbaja25

Yes, we have sold many sets & we also have annother set we are installing currently in our shop.. THere is nothing to not like. The only draw back is not all twin engine boats can run them.. There are some other posts here & on other sites that we have privided much info on.. There are also dyno sheets on our site for them.. Feel free to call me if you have any more questions.. Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anybody heard how the polished manifolds are holding up compared to powdercoat?

Do you have to keep after the polish??

Thanks
Cougarman
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 PM
REH
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the Dana exhaust sound vs. stock? Anything like CMIs?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by cougarman
Has anybody heard how the polished manifolds are holding up compared to powdercoat?

Do you have to keep after the polish??

Thanks
Cougarman
I would say good being that they are hard anodized first to mil specs.. However they are new for the 496s even though they have been avail for a while for the regular BBC applications..

The ones for my boat that I have coming are hard anodized with a chrome powdercoating.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by REH
How does the Dana exhaust sound vs. stock? Anything like CMIs?
It should be similar. However the loudness comes mainly from whether you are running a baffled or non baffled tip as well as engines displacment & compression and the ammount of water flowing thru the exhaust.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DONZI33
I would say good being that they are hard anodized first to mil specs.. However they are new for the 496s even though they have been avail for a while for the regular BBC applications..

The ones for my boat that I have coming are hard anodized with a chrome powdercoating.. Jamie / Lakeside

They ( DO NOT ) get hard anodized if they are polished.
It's just raw aluminum !! polished up.

Only ones hard anodized are the powdercoated ones.

Cougarman
Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by cougarman
They ( DO NOT ) get hard anodized if they are polished.
It's just raw aluminum !! polished up.

Only ones hard anodized are the powdercoated ones.

Cougarman
I never said they get hard anodized if they are polished.. The hard anodizing leaves them looking permanently gloomy. Thats why they are then powedercoated.. The ones I am getting are chrome powder over the hard anodized.. I think you misunderstood me.. Jamie / Lakeside

Quick Reply: new dana marine 496 ehaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.