496 HO whipple installation

Notices

496 HO whipple installation

Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO whipple installation

How difficult is it to install a whipplecharger on a 496 HO?
Is it really a "simple" bolt on kit?
Does the engine has to be removed and putted on a dyno ?
What about fuel pressure (re)calibartion?
How long does the complete installation takes?
All info would be appreciated
Old 03-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

I installed the whipple kit on a 496 in my Nordic a couple of summers ago. I'm just a "backyard mechanic" and did all the work myself. I found that talking with Dustin at Whipple was most helpfull. They sent a copy of installation instructions so I could get a feel for it before I decided to buy. It is pretty much a bolt on. I took my time over a 10 day period working part of the weekend and evenings to get the work done. Once I was done the engine fired up immediately. Gave this "do it yourselfer" a great deal of satisfaction. For me the most difficult part was installing the new fuel pump and runnning the fuel lines but a local speed shop helped me out with that.
You will send in you pcm to Whipple for a recalibration.

Take a look on the Nordic Forum for a thread on modifications to the seat back and hatch that you will need to do.

Pat
Old 03-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb
I installed the whipple kit on a 496 in my Nordic a couple of summers ago. I'm just a "backyard mechanic" and did all the work myself. I found that talking with Dustin at Whipple was most helpfull. They sent a copy of installation instructions so I could get a feel for it before I decided to buy. It is pretty much a bolt on. I took my time over a 10 day period working part of the weekend and evenings to get the work done. Once I was done the engine fired up immediately. Gave this "do it yourselfer" a great deal of satisfaction. For me the most difficult part was installing the new fuel pump and runnning the fuel lines but a local speed shop helped me out with that.
You will send in you pcm to Whipple for a recalibration.

Take a look on the Nordic Forum for a thread on modifications to the seat back and hatch that you will need to do.

Pat
How does it perform? Did you do anything with the
internals?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered

I found that the whipple performed as advertised. I boat at elvations over 5000 feet so for my particular application the results where dramatic.

I've not done any work on the internals of the engine although I have read all the discussions on the pistons and such. I've got a chunk of my savings account reserved just incase though. I would like to beef up the internals in the next year or two just to be safe but at this point in time I've not had any issues.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

thx all replys

No issues adjusting fuel pressure ?

@ ComfortablyNumb Do you still have copy of the installation instructions ? Maybe you could e-mail them ?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What year is your Nordic, it may have forged internals already, the early 496s had some forged parts.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Don't forget to upgrade your exhaust. Adding CMI's is worth 50+ HP alone!!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pismo10
What year is your Nordic, it may have forged internals already, the early 496s had some forged parts.
The 375 HP had cast crankshafts and the 420's had forged steel crankshafts but they all had the same cast pistons. We sell a stock replacement piston that is Forged and has the same spec's as a stock piston so it will go right in.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Registered

My motor is a 2002 model. My understanding is the crank is forged and the pistons are cast. If or when I go into the motor I'll for sure upgrade the pistons.

Evaluex, PM with with your email and I'll scan the instructions for you. Ajusting the fuel pressure was straight forward. The only issue I had was a small air leak in the backflow valve in the pick up tube on my fuel tank. That gave me a headached for a while.

Pat