Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydromotive Nose Cone or Crescent Shaped Lower? >

Hydromotive Nose Cone or Crescent Shaped Lower?

Notices

Hydromotive Nose Cone or Crescent Shaped Lower?

Old 03-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydromotive Nose Cone or Crescent Shaped Lower?

Anyone try the hydromotive nose cone on a stock Bravo drive? Or is the Bravo Shop crescent shaped lower the route to go for increased speed? Not sure if I'm going the shortie route yet, but wanted an alternative that would reduce drag if I stay with the current drive height.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

I have a single engine 272 baja w/944 hp motor,I have a drive I always run w/hydromotive nose cone and a spare w/o that I run when regular one is off for repairs. Boat runs 89.5 w/70 gallons of gas and 1000lbs of passengers/gear and 92.8 light,will barely go 85-86 mph light with other drive,the nose cone makes a solid 5mph difference and when you back out of the gas it feels like its dragging a anchor with spare drive. The spare drive is a dual pick up though which I guess also slows you down. I also sanded and ground on the hydromotive nose cone until its almost sharp and very well blended,Smitty
Old 03-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My experience is a speed increase if your boat runs 85+, you will pick up mph. My boat runs 3-4 mph faster with Hydrmotive cones vs. std. lower. Drops 2-3 if I just put my spare on without a nose cone, so even that has one now.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always run the Hydromotive. Years ago, I was having trouble getting past 75mph with an older short bullet on my 25'Checkmate. Ater adding the Hydromotive.. I was able to break through that wall and evently went 90mph with it..

Now I dont even question it.. just install one.
Here is a pic of a new lower I will be building for a drive for my 28' Check.. Friend of mine installed the cone, it is done right..
Attached Thumbnails Hydromotive Nose Cone or Crescent Shaped Lower?-100_4429_00a.jpg  
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. Sounds as though the Hydromotive is the way to go. Do you think that I will gain enough to go with 2" shorties? Or will the Hydromotive be the answer. I am currently running a tick over 90 gps with stock drives. I'm not sure what my x-dim is. I've called Fountain and it seems that they don't have that information on my hull.

I want to be able to get up on plane and not waste the $ on spacers if I can't. But I also don't want to leave any speed on the table.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rebel,
what Imco has told me, is that if you can get your boat on plane with 3 blade prop, you should be able to do it with the -2" and a 4 blade. After that it is find some that has the same setup or try it.. Sorry I cant be of more help.

D*ck
Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been thinking about installing the Hydromotive cones on my XR DWP lowers.I am currently running mid eighties now, do you guys think it would help.This is on my 91 Fountain with a low x dimension.I was also thinking shorties,but to much money.What is the best way to install a nose cone?Epoxy or Tig weld?

Thanks Nordic95
Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a twin drive boat, with the IMCO -2" lower unit and a 2" inch spacer (to establish a base line) speed went from 93 to 97 mph. Without the 2" spacer, 101 mph.
The point is the IMCO lower is very efficient vs. the Bravo lower even at same X. If you can get on plane a 3-blade prop, you would be a good candidate for the IMCO -2" shorty. Where else could you get 3-4 mph for $2500?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered

Ok, if I'm currently running a 29 Hydromotive 4 blade, what 3 blade would you try to get up on plane? I'm going to measure this coming weekend to see how far below my boat my centerline of the drive is. Everyone I've been talking to wants to know this measurement prior to recommending -2" shorties. Is this easy to measure?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have a single engine 272 baja w/944 hp motor,I have a drive I always run w/hydromotive nose cone and a spare w/o that I run when regular one is off for repairs. Boat runs 89.5 w/70 gallons of gas and 1000lbs of passengers/gear and 92.8 light,will barely go 85-86 mph light with other drive,the nose cone makes a solid 5mph difference and when you back out of the gas it feels like its dragging a anchor with spare drive. The spare drive is a dual pick up though which I guess also slows you down. I also sanded and ground on the hydromotive nose cone until its almost sharp and very well blended,Smitty
Hey Smitty, do you have a pic of your nosecone? I'm taking mine off to paint and check the gears and would like to add one. Also what are you getting for your treated gears and where can I buy the nosecone? You can pm if you want.

Quick Reply: Hydromotive Nose Cone or Crescent Shaped Lower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.