Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Dyno testing and myth busting! >

496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Notices

496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The load on the drive must increase to hold an engine at 5000 RPM. How 'bout this example. You run a 17 pitch prop and turn the engine up to 5000 RPM. Now switch to a 30 pitch prop and spin the engine up to 5000 RPM. Obviously it takes much more torque to spin a 30 to 5000.The 30 pitch prop is trying it's darndest to keep the engine from achieving that RPM. The entire load is being absorbed by the drive. Does it make sense that the friction created by the gears would be much greater in the second scenario than the first? This increased friction is what would be costing the more HP. If you put the boat in the water without a prop and pushed the throttle forward to achieve 5000 RPM, how much HP is the drive using now? In the case of the dyno I program what RPM to hold the engine to. If I say 5000, it keeps adding load as the power increases to maintain that RPM. The drive would be absorbing every bit of that power.

In the case of the stock 496 we went from 431 HP at the crankshaft to 387 at the prop. That's 44 HP, or roughly 10%. I recently dyno'd a supercharged small block. It made 555 HP at the crankshaft. I took the engine straight off the dyno and put it in the boat. I redyno'd it at the propshaft. This was with a standard Bravo drive, not an X. It made 490 at the prop. There were some gibson mufflers on the boat that probably added a small amount of loss, which may be why we were showing over 11% loss in this example. Hope this helps.

Bob

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Bob,

Great information with interesting results. I am a bit confused at one thing. You said..

"One last Myth to bust. How much horsepower does a Bravo drive absorb? For those of you that are observant, you’re probably ahead of me. It’s certainly not 25 or 30 HP like many have come to believe. It is a percentage. In this case with a Bravo X drive, right at 10%. I’ve done testing on 600 HP engines and lost 60+ HP to the drive."

I am certainly not doubting your claim to this, but how can a drive absorb more hp at a given rpm, with the only variable being a more powerful engine? Wouldnt a drive require the same hp at 5000 rpm regardless of what is turning it? I can see the additional horsepower turning the drive to a higher rpm, thus requiring more horsepower to turn it. I dont understand that a drive absorbs power on a percentage scale.

Vinny
Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I am certainly not doubting your claim to this, but how can a drive absorb more hp at a given rpm, with the only variable being a more powerful engine? Wouldnt a drive require the same hp at 5000 rpm regardless of what is turning it?
Vinny
Vinny, there is no surprise here. The drive is nothing more than a odd shaped transmission, and transmission and rear axles in cars also behave this way (percentage of load). Think of the gear teeth dragging across each other. Put more load on the gears, and the more drag there is. Now, of course, this can change a bit at super light loads, where the viscous drag just moving the gears through the oil becomes a larger percentage of the loss, but in most operating conditions, loss is a percentage of horsepower.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 04-24-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What was the Torque loss thru the bravo drive? is that constant with rpm? Do you have any curves showing HP and TQ with stock and with Dana exhaust?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All the dyno sheets are posted on my web site.

Originally Posted by cobra marty
What was the Torque loss thru the bravo drive? is that constant with rpm? Do you have any curves showing HP and TQ with stock and with Dana exhaust?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so now that we know the Bravo's scrub 10% off the ponies, what can we do to lessen that.....There in lies the question of inquiring minds...Synthetic oil? Lower weight oil? Dialing in the toe/heel adjustment on twins?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

Great job man...I can't wait for more test!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
The load on the drive must increase to hold an engine at 5000 RPM. How 'bout this example. You run a 17 pitch prop and turn the engine up to 5000 RPM. Now switch to a 30 pitch prop and spin the engine up to 5000 RPM. Obviously it takes much more torque to spin a 30 to 5000.The 30 pitch prop is trying it's darndest to keep the engine from achieving that RPM. The entire load is being absorbed by the drive. Does it make sense that the friction created by the gears would be much greater in the second scenario than the first? This increased friction is what would be costing the more HP. If you put the boat in the water without a prop and pushed the throttle forward to achieve 5000 RPM, how much HP is the drive using now? In the case of the dyno I program what RPM to hold the engine to. If I say 5000, it keeps adding load as the power increases to maintain that RPM. The drive would be absorbing every bit of that power.

In the case of the stock 496 we went from 431 HP at the crankshaft to 387 at the prop. That's 44 HP, or roughly 10%. I recently dyno'd a supercharged small block. It made 555 HP at the crankshaft. I took the engine straight off the dyno and put it in the boat. I redyno'd it at the propshaft. This was with a standard Bravo drive, not an X. It made 490 at the prop. There were some gibson mufflers on the boat that probably added a small amount of loss, which may be why we were showing over 11% loss in this example. Hope this helps.

Bob
Bob,

I know you talked about this when we did mine, what the bravo really eats. We dyno'd mine at 509hp at the prop (and i was a little disappointed) but going on the 383 buildup (555hp/490pshp) That would put mine over 560hp. I just wish i had the dyno sheets for the higher hp
Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Thought I would bust another myth here in this thread since it was mentioned. GM has no current plans to drop the 496 8.1L engine for the Marine or other non light truck uses. That information comes straight from officals at GM Powertrain who build and supply this engine. Thought I would stop that rumor before it goes any further. I hope the CMI's get to you in time to finish a complete comparison.

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Awesome, I was hoping that was a rumor!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I removed the turbulator rings when I polished the elbow. I heard they were more for condensation in colder climates. I live in Florida where there is supposedly less of a risk. It's about a year so far.

Quick Reply: 496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.