Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Dyno testing and myth busting! >

496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Notices

496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good analysis, great information, thanx a lot!

Now let me contribute my real world experience with the 496 CMI kit with the adapters for the Corsa Q&Q system.

Although I did not expect too much at first I am impressed by the performance gains of this system. My little Baja 272 gained an honest 4mph on the speedo (went from 70 to 74), turning 5050 rpm with an 25 Mirage. Before the change I turned the same rpms with an 23 Mirage, which now is allover the revlimiter. Same load, same conditions.

If it takes about 15hpfor each additional mile thats the 60 hp advertised. No way around it!

The CMIs are alot of money and really a pain in the A** to install, but they deliver, add a lot of nice bling and sound way cool.

But, here comes the problem: With the 2004 and newer ECU the engine runs too lean. Yesterday my boat went into guardian after a prolonged WOT run....I can only guess that the Exhaust gas temperatures went up beyond the desired range and the engine management system intervened....
My engine is a 2003 but with a special ECU program for less transom soot, most likely the same new program data that all the 2004 and up engines come stock with.
Last week I made a test run with the original 2003 ECU (ugly soot on the transom again) but I didnt have any problem with the engine although I ran it a lot harder than yesterday.

So, can anybody share the info of how to up the fuel pressure on my engine by 3 psi keeping the stock components? I heard rumours there is a way, some hidden screw somewhere, but where exactly?

I wanna keep my lean ECU, I hate fouled up transoms :-)

Thanks for your ideas!

Greetings from germany!

Andi
Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a special fuel pressure regulator that is aftermarket for the Gen 3 fuel cool systems. It is adjustable. The factory ones are not. We have been selling the aftermarket regulators for around 200.00 latley. You probably need about annother 2-4psi of fuel psi.. Jamie / Lakeside

Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered

Excellent article!!! Staying tuned for the Raylar kit.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

Jamie@Lakeside:

I might want one of these regulators! Is the installation easy or do I have to take half of the engine apart??
On the other hand I heard Dustin Whipple can reprogram the PCM especially for the CMi application.

Which is the better solution?

Andi
Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there an adjustable pressure regulator avail for 575SCi? (Not one that I have to cut and assemble) Looking for a easy bolt on.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Preuni
Jamie@Lakeside:

I might want one of these regulators! Is the installation easy or do I have to take half of the engine apart??
On the other hand I heard Dustin Whipple can reprogram the PCM especially for the CMi application.

Which is the better solution?

Andi
It just pops into the gen3 Fuel cool module & is held in with 2 screws.. You should be fine with just a regulator.. If you are going to do other add ons like cam, heads etc.. then I would also reflash.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by BillR
Is there an adjustable pressure regulator avail for 575SCi? (Not one that I have to cut and assemble) Looking for a easy bolt on.

Off the top of my head I am not sure.. However there are ways to bump pressure if you have to, it just may require some work.. If you PM me your serial # from the engine I can check & see what may be available for you..

BTW, why do you want to up the psi on a 525Sci ?? Did you make some alterations to it?? If not you should probably leave it alone.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

It is running a few psi low (2 -3)
Probably nothing to worry about - it doesn't drop below 22 at WOT and at idle it is 25 - 26.
I relpaced sea water driven fuel pump w/ Eikert's hi flow billet.
I want to ensure PR is correct. If I disconnect vac line @ idle, pres goes to about 35.

Just being cautious.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Bob, this business needs more guys like you. I am grateful to people and companies that make an investment in information and share it with the rest of us. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info. Bob

Quick Reply: 496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.