Engine alarm question (Volvo) >

Engine alarm question (Volvo)

Notices

Engine alarm question (Volvo)

Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Engine alarm question (Volvo)

I have a brand new install situation I'm not absolutely comfortable with , maybe someone can put my mind at ease.

The owner's manual on my 5,7Gi says that when the ignition key is turned on the audible alarm sounds three beeps as a cross check and then goes silent.
The alarm on my 502 does exactly this !

What I get is (fuel pump cycles on then off) a continuous intermittant series of beeps that stops only when the engine starts.

The installer/dealer says it is fine ... I still get this feeling that it is'nt right .... Any comments ?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 5.7 Gi that does exactly as your owner's manual states. I turn the key to the on position and get three quick beeps and that's it, no further beeping.

I've got a couple of Volvo service manuals I'll check though to see if I can find what you describe.

You could also post your question here:
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/m...87/12487.shtml
There are Volvo mechanics that answer questions on there.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks .. I really appreciate that ....

A comprehensive as the owner's manual is , it does'nt say anything else about the different kinds of alarms possible (if there are any).
Just the three beep signal at initial switch on and then the alarm going off with any other possible trouble that the system monitors.
I guess that , rather than figure out what the alarm is trying to tell you , just get your eyes on the gauges asp .... which is where they should be regularly anyway
Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Registered

Well, I checked though the Volvo shop manuals I have, and they are really not written for the average joe.

They only mention checking for problems with a scan tool. They don't outline any other checks you can do without a scan tool, and they also don't make mention of any beeping when the key is turned on.

I went though my owner's manual and it doesn't mention any of the beeping at all either. So I guess your owner's manual is better than mine.

I'd post the question to the board I provided a link to. Your description doesn't sound quite right to me. If all the gauges check out OK, I'm wondering if it is just a trouble code that is stored in the ECU that needs to be cleared out.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Again thanks for the help !

I hate to go behind my mechanic's back (in a sense) but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do when something does'nt seem right and the answers you're getting don't add up either.
I'd rather play it safe for sure than have something go wrong because I did'nt speak up.
Some time back I had an alignment problem that my mech could'nt believe .. said I was imagining things ... ha ! Proved him wrong too !

When he comes to put the unit on I think I'll run it by him again in person and see how much he likes it .

I'm not signed up on that site that you linked . but will monitor it. If you hear anything first can you let me know ?

Thanks/Steve
Old 05-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Again thanks for the help !

I hate to go behind my mechanic's back (in a sense) but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do when something does'nt seem right and the answers you're getting don't add up either.
I'd rather play it safe for sure than have something go wrong because I did'nt speak up.
Some time back I had an alignment problem that my mech could'nt believe .. said I was imagining things ... ha ! Proved him wrong too !

When he comes to put the unit on I think I'll run it by him again in person and see how much he likes it .

I'm not signed up on that site that you linked . but will monitor it. If you hear anything first can you let me know ?

Thanks/Steve
I agree 110%. There are far too many "mechanics" out there that present themselves as knowledgeable, when in fact they are not. Hopefully this is not the case with your guy, but second opinions never hurt!

I hope you don't mind, but I've posted your question on the Volvo forum. I'll PM you with any further info I may need. Here's a link to the post:
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/m...87/80239.shtml
Old 05-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

That's great ,

I'll be monitoring it for feedback . Hope I can get a definitive answer !