Oil line size.........Help >

Oil line size.........Help

Notices

Oil line size.........Help

Old 05-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

bk,

Any progress in finding out what caused the failure ?

Bill K
Old 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor is getting torn down as we speak. After paying for "port work" on brand new AFR heads, it turns out the exhaust side was never ported but the intake said looks like it was hit with a meat grinder. The valves are not mated properly to the heads, the intake gasket was over hanging the intake ports. The intake that was "ported" didn't line up to the heads. (pics soon to follow). The springs had old gm style spacers in it, the builder says I had 100 psi too much spring pressure, three lobes on the cam are gone in less than 10 hours. The lobes are so bad they have grooves worn in them. The roller tips on the rockers (brand new btw) are worn off. (pics to follow) The stud girdles were on backwards, the builder said he had never seen them on like that before and had to use a pry bar to get them off. The lifters were gen iv type on a gen v block. That means the had the bar between them when they didn't need it. The timing chain was an old no name single roller type. (nice for a 10k 800 hp motor rebuild.....) The thrust bearing was beat to death, builder isn't sure if the that was first to go or if the rounded cam was first. Either way after a valve adjustment this motor was supposedly good to go. We will have our day in court. I'm having two different builders document the carnage in this motor and then I'll have my attorney serve the papers.

A lesson to all, never drop you motor off in a dirty backyard.
Ask your builder for refrences, real world people with motors similar or better than yours.
Never believe just because someone tells you how good they are, that it's true.
Just because the guy read a few books and can dazzle you with knowledge doesn't mean he can actually do machine work.
Just because the guy freelances for a magazine doesn't mean he knows anything except how to bs his way through a story.

The new parts in this motor look to be about 2500 dollars worth of trash plus 7500 dollars worth of labor. Every part including the block is junk now. The pistons are covered in black soot, new builder says he thinks the cylinders were washed down, front two pistons are melted either from lack of oil or from being washed down. This guy supposedly set up and boost refferenced the carbs. Nice job huh?

I'll have pics and more info Tuesday.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Brand new everything. Every piece of hardware and the lines were brand spankin new. The pan was full of metal shavings. This guy said the noise was in the valve train, so he supposedly adjusted the valves and told me it was ok to run it again. When I fired it up on the hose after leaving, you could tell the noise hadn't gone away. So we popped the valve covers to find that the valves varied in adjustment from 20 to 40 thousands. He had lied about the adjustment to get me to go out and finish the motor off. He also wrote all over the invoice that having inadequate lines for cooling, fuel and oiling will cause the motor the fail. Obviously trying to find excuses for the junk he built. He knew he didn't adjust the valves, and any builder should have known a rod knock. He wanted to give some excuses and have it leave his shop (back yard, he doesn't have a real shop) so he could blame some one else. This guy is a total crook.
The water lines are standard 1 1/4 with an off shore pickup, KPM sea strainer (brand new), into the sea pump, through the cooler, into the cross-over.
Oil lines are 10an from the adapter, to the remote filter, into the cooler and back to the block. I even ran the oil the opposite direction as the water for better cooling.
Fuel is 8 an from both tanks to the filter, 8 an to the pump (mounted below the tanks), 8 an to the bypass regulator, 8 an return lines, 6 an to each carb.
His latest is that it must be the improper size oil lines that caused the motor to fail. I just want to know if 10 an is adequate. I called CP and a rigger that worked at Eliminator and they both said 10 should be fine for that hp.
Nothing wrong with your lines. The "THUNK" you wre hearing might not have been a rod. When cam lobes wear down, (I think I am reading you right) they sound like a rod knocking. The cam lobe is slaming on the lifter and generating the noise. If the lash was off, it might have been from the cam. Once this happens, sometimes the pushrods jump out of the rocker arm and get cramed under the lifter. This causes the valve to stay open and the piston head intruduces itself.

I didn't read your whole thread, but this all could have starte with a cam that was not broken in correctly. Poorly orted heads will not blow a motor, and even a poorly installed #10 line is big enough for a oil remote on an engine that runs at less than 6000 rpm's.

Just something I learned about cams last week. I cooked a brand new one too. Made it for 15 minutes on the lake. Had a carb problem that would not let us get cam broke in. I run flat tappet solid lifter type though.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Motor is getting torn down as we speak. After paying for "port work" on brand new AFR heads, it turns out the exhaust side was never ported but the intake said looks like it was hit with a meat grinder. The valves are not mated properly to the heads, the intake gasket was over hanging the intake ports. The intake that was "ported" didn't line up to the heads. (pics soon to follow). The springs had old gm style spacers in it, the builder says I had 100 psi too much spring pressure, three lobes on the cam are gone in less than 10 hours. The lobes are so bad they have grooves worn in them. The roller tips on the rockers (brand new btw) are worn off. (pics to follow) The stud girdles were on backwards, the builder said he had never seen them on like that before and had to use a pry bar to get them off. The lifters were gen iv type on a gen v block. That means the had the bar between them when they didn't need it. The timing chain was an old no name single roller type. (nice for a 10k 800 hp motor rebuild.....) The thrust bearing was beat to death, builder isn't sure if the that was first to go or if the rounded cam was first. Either way after a valve adjustment this motor was supposedly good to go. We will have our day in court. I'm having two different builders document the carnage in this motor and then I'll have my attorney serve the papers.

A lesson to all, never drop you motor off in a dirty backyard.
Ask your builder for refrences, real world people with motors similar or better than yours.
Never believe just because someone tells you how good they are, that it's true.
Just because the guy read a few books and can dazzle you with knowledge doesn't mean he can actually do machine work.
Just because the guy freelances for a magazine doesn't mean he knows anything except how to bs his way through a story.

The new parts in this motor look to be about 2500 dollars worth of trash plus 7500 dollars worth of labor. Every part including the block is junk now. The pistons are covered in black soot, new builder says he thinks the cylinders were washed down, front two pistons are melted either from lack of oil or from being washed down. This guy supposedly set up and boost refferenced the carbs. Nice job huh?

I'll have pics and more info Tuesday.
Sounds like amateur hour to me. Should have been no reason to even touch a new AFR head. If he bougt the right size, they are perfect. Guys like me save up money to buy heads like that. You port and polish to try to get to heads like that.

Black soot is from running fat. Are pistons melted on top or bottom? When cams flatten it screws up the valve sequence. with a blower it is not using the intake stroke to meter the fuel. If the intake valve was stuck open, the blower kept pushing fuel into the chamber and fattened it up. This could have been the reason your pistons cooked.

I am looking forward to see how this thread turns out because I am always wanting to learn more about these type engines.

Unfortunately, we can only learn from the mistakes.

If you more experienced guys find anything wrong with my logic on the last 2 posts, please tell me where it is. I am just thinking out loud here.

Thanks.

Last edited by jeff1000man; 05-26-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Were your afr heads as cast or cnc to start with? If they were cnc be GLAD the so called builder never attacked the exhaust port as the performance will pretty much only go down hill if ground on (everything is sized and perfectly balanced out of the box),Smitty
Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Nothing wrong with your lines. The "THUNK" you wre hearing might not have been a rod. When cam lobes wear down, (I think I am reading you right) they sound like a rod knocking. The cam lobe is slaming on the lifter and generating the noise. If the lash was off, it might have been from the cam. Once this happens, sometimes the pushrods jump out of the rocker arm and get cramed under the lifter. This causes the valve to stay open and the piston head intruduces itself.

Oh no, the front two bearings are junk, the crank is blue, three rods are cracked along with the front two pistons melting. We can't find markings on the no name rods yet to figure out what they are. The crank is a middle of the road Scat crank. The new builder said it's not the worst they make but not a 10k rebuild or an 800 to 900 hp crank. That's no surprise though.......
Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I was thinking about this also. Did your guy check that the oil was flowing through the filter in the proper direction. A lot of inexperienced marine guys will put the cooler lines on backwards and the filter will basically come apart inside the casing.

This kind of oversight will cook an engine in the way you described.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Were your afr heads as cast or cnc to start with? If they were cnc be GLAD the so called builder never attacked the exhaust port as the performance will pretty much only go down hill if ground on (everything is sized and perfectly balanced out of the box),Smitty
Heads were complete, brand new, cnc bowl blended 345's. They came with stainless intake and inconel exhaust. First thing the con artist did was remove the valves. He said he couldn't figure out what part numbers they were and he called AFR and they supposedly told him they had never heard of the part numbers before. He also said the valve guide clearances were all wrong and that AFR doesn't put heads together so whoever sold me the heads ripped me off and put cheap valves in them. But, being that Don at Triad Performance and I are good friends, I got the heads at Don's cost straight from AFR. I knew I was being lied to at that point but I had to wait until I had the valves in my hand to find out for myself. In the end I got the valves back and called AFR with the Ferria part numbers, guess what? They were exactly what the invoice from AFR called for, stainless intake and inconel exhaust valves.

http://www.tpmarine.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=1395
Old 05-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I was thinking about this also. Did your guy check that the oil was flowing through the filter in the proper direction. A lot of inexperienced marine guys will put the cooler lines on backwards and the filter will basically come apart inside the casing.

This kind of oversight will cook an engine in the way you described.

Good luck with your quest.
I rigged it myself, checked, double, and triple checked to make sure the hoses were all in the right places. The oil adapter and remote oil filter were brand new billet pieces form cp, they are also plainly marked in and out.

Smitty mentioned swept fitting, there's nothing but swept fittings.
Attached Thumbnails Oil line size.........Help-picture-157.jpg  
Old 05-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Was the valve job touched,afr uses a very good valve job that enhances the flow of their heads with wide seay margins,as soon as these are cut on it REDUCES the flow signifigantly,I'm going thru this myself. When I bought my AFR's I had a local machine shop assemble them,they told me the valve job "was all screwed up" and cut on the valve job (I didn't know any better, (this was 2 years ago),now I'm trying to have them straightened out but its not looking too great,the flow is DOWN 30-40 cfm,good luck. Hopefully the rest of this mess can also be fixed so yo can salvage your boating season. I luckily have been building motors for last 24 years so I do my own engine assembly work (except headwork) so I have avoided major engine disasters (I have a hard time trusting ANYONE),Smitty

Quick Reply: Oil line size.........Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.