Notices

Best vinyl for seat upholstery

Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best vinyl for seat upholstery

Need to recover seats - what is the best vinyl

- good abrasion resistance and good for wind rain (mildew) and sun.....

been told Nautolex..
Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicolasticity
Need to recover seats - what is the best vinyl

- good abrasion resistance and good for wind rain (mildew) and sun.....

been told Nautolex..
I have the Nautolex with the factory applied prefixx protective finish in my boat for 10 yrs.Last boat 9 yrs.Thats what came in Powerquests up to 1999. I think its great, both boats interiors still looked like new. I tend to be very consious of my boats. Rack storage, dont let the interior stay un covered unless I am in it,mostly use damp rag or mild soap to clean interior etc.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

When you find out let us know. I can not under stand why the factory seats last ten years and if some one else does them they last two. I have tryed several people and have given up.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Update

Many upholsterers will use cheap stuff or what they have around them and that may be why things dont have a long life. A local guy in Bristol UK said to me - you wanna keep it or sell it with a 4 times dffernce in price!

Jo at Pantera uses a local guy and the quality is good. The seats on my 92 boat are pretty good considering the boat had no cover and was kept outside in Tennessee.

Im told that Colorguard 2000 from Boltaflex or Spirit Millennium from Naugahyde would work for me. Yardag estimated at 16 yds 54 ins wide.

Throw anymore suggestions that come to mind.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nautolex and Naugahydeis very good. This is what I have found. Upholstery work can be a very competetive market. Most people shop around and tend to go for the cheaper price.
High quality vinyl is somewhere in the area of 35oz thickness. Colors are more limited in this vinyls with 35oz. I won't do a job for anyone with less than 29oz and thats only because colors are more options. Can be close to $20-$30/yd.
Many people get scared away at this price. I see many upholster jobs being done with 20-26oz thickness. The better quality vinyls do not fade either, better process in the dye process also ads to the price.
Also, the type and quality of thread being used can make a big difference in how long they last. Must be able to hold up to the the elements.
How about do they use stainless steel staples. SS staples get expensive. Dose the upholster put a backing on the cushions and finish off the undersides. Basically, you get what you pay for.