Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bronze distributor gear install ? >

Bronze distributor gear install ?

Notices

Bronze distributor gear install ?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bronze distributor gear install ?

I'm trying to put a bronze gear on my thunderbolt distributor. My question is the only way it seems it is going to fit is if I take the shim or thrust washer ( not sure what you call it) out between the gear and bottom of the distributor. When I put the gear on with the shim/washer in place the distributor will not even spin, it's tight as hell. Can I run without the shim/washer between the gear and distributor?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

First ???? Do you need to run a bronze gear because of billet cam gear????

The washers are actually shims. They keep the distributor shaft from moving up and down. You can get shim kits with thinner shims at any speed shop.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Registered

Yes, billet cam. So is there suppose to be any movement in the distributor? With the stock gear and stock shim there is 1/32" play. When I remove the shim and install the bronze there is very little if any play. Should I still put a shim in or run without?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My memory is not what it used to be but I think there should be .010" to .015" of play.

Dave
Old 05-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should not be running a bronze gear on a billet cam gear. Cam gear will eat it alive sending shavings into engine/ causing variation in timing due to slop in the gear mesh. The newer cams have different material properties requiring a different distributor gear material.

There is a special melonized gear that should be installed. I read this and got the GM part number from Hot Boat magazine some time ago. I beleive it was an article written by Tyler Crockett (don't hold me to the author as it was years ago). I did this once and learned my lesson. Caught it very early, installed the new GM melonized gear on the distributor. Ran fine and no wear from there on out. As for you clearance issue...??? not sure

Zack
Old 05-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
Yes, billet cam. So is there suppose to be any movement in the distributor? With the stock gear and stock shim there is 1/32" play. When I remove the shim and install the bronze there is very little if any play. Should I still put a shim in or run without?
Additionally, now it has been some time ago so please forgive the memory , the bronze dist. gears are available in different sizes. Is it possible you ordered the wrong size for your application? I don't recall if it was length of the gear or the inner diameter. I just remember there was a difference somewhere...

Zack
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razor1115
Additionally, now it has been some time ago so please forgive the memory , the bronze dist. gears are available in different sizes. Is it possible you ordered the wrong size for your application? I don't recall if it was length of the gear or the inner diameter. I just remember there was a difference somewhere...

Zack
It is the inner diameter that are different.

Stotz is spot on. Set mine w/ a .015 play. Used shims to get the tolerances.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Registered

Now I'm confused. I thought you had to run a bronze gear with a billet cam, or the Comp Cams composite gear. I've heard of the GM melonized gear but I thought it was also a cast gear like stock. I Better do some checking....
Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
Now I'm confused. I thought you had to run a bronze gear with a billet cam, or the Comp Cams composite gear. I've heard of the GM melonized gear but I thought it was also a cast gear like stock. I Better do some checking....
Hope I didn't confuse you. I did try the bronze gear on my new roller cam at first rebuild. I noticed the timing seemed to be moving around and couldn't keep a perfect idle (although cam was a little larger than a 741). Pulled the distributor and saw a lot of wear on the bronze gear.

Read in an old Hot Boat that the newer billet roller cam blanks required the melanized gear for the distributor due to the hardness of the billet. Hope I relayed this correctly... anyone else feel free to jump on this if I am in error!

Zack
Old 05-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

razor, so you had a billet cam with billet gear ( not a pressed on one) and ran the GM melonized gear? I was going to do that but was told the bronze would be better because it was the weak link. It will go before the cam. Just figured I would change it every season. Maybe I will go with the melonized if you had good results...

Quick Reply: Bronze distributor gear install ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.