Drive-line length

Notices

Drive-line length

Old 05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fringe,
Have you thought about the X dimension? Any need to change?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,
Yup I was trying to figure out a way to align that bearing. I can make an alignment tool, but I have no way to then tighten the carrier mounting once it is aligned, without pulling the tool and snaking my hand through the bellows. I thought about a side access port(again looking at some of the Imco boxes for bravos). I guess if I did that I could leave the bearing carrier loose and put the drive on(I would be able to guide the shaft into place throught the port too) and then tighten the carrier down. Is that the way the bravo boxes work?
Ben,
The boat was originally set-up with a 2" spacer with 3 blade props. I'm switching to 4 blades so I went to a 1" spacer. The Merc boxes in the center mounting hole raises the drive 1" over the std gimbal mounting. That will be my starting point. I can go up a max of another 2" between taking out the spacer completely and moving the box to the highest mounting location.

Jim
Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Stelling boxes have an access port on the side. That would be the way to go. Not sure how to get in there with a shaft in place to get it aligned correctly.
You might consider mounting it, shimming to get it strait as possible, then aligning the engine and trans to the shaft.
Gary
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thought I had was having an adjustment bolt/bolts on the top of the bearing carrier so I could slowly adjust the bearing carrier up(maintaining it's height location) with the mounting bolts hand tight and re-inserting the alignment shaft until I got the carrier adjusted before doing the final torque on the carrier. This would be an iterative process of adjust, reinsert to check, remove, readjust, but it would require the minimum modification in the engine bay. I just talked to Moser Engineering in Indiana and they feel they can make the shaft. They were thinking a Dana 60 axle shaft would work. I have to mic the intermediate shaft off the std merc bearing carrier. If I have the mid-span bearing surface on the new shaft ground for that inner diameter, I should be able to use the std bearing and 50% of the original carrier.

Jim