Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
mefi tuning finally available to everyone-CHEAP >

mefi tuning finally available to everyone-CHEAP

Notices

mefi tuning finally available to everyone-CHEAP

Old 05-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The key to making any of this work is having the appropriate calibration files. Merc ECU's are password protected so you cannot upload them. Therefore you must have the correct file to start with, then modify it as desired.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
a bit expensive but looks ok to me if just as a data recorder. bought one and will advise. smitty... we talked a while back about coatings and you said when you had your motor apart you would make a decision on whether or not you felt they were worth it.... anything on that ?
Steve, I'm not convinced the coatings did much for my cylinder heads and valves as the exhaust valves had very little evidence of the coating left on them and had small cracks in the surface near the stem/radius but as far as the pistons there was zero signs of scuffing and the burnt oil look I have seen in the past on the inside/bottom of the crowns was very minimal so I think it kept the heat from going thru the piston and expanding the skirt which causes scuffing. The pistons were still real nice so I sent them back to swain tech and had them strip the coating and re-coat them,Smitty
Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cobra marty
Great find. Are you going to try it?
I'd like to know if it would allow me to go into a mefi3 and tewak it or not,I e-mailed the seller,waiting for a response. I'm working with rm builder on modifying a mpi top end for a n/a motor and this would allow me to dyno it locally,Smitty
Old 05-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is their ph # i plan to call them today. 888-639-9750.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
The key to making any of this work is having the appropriate calibration files. Merc ECU's are password protected so you cannot upload them. Therefore you must have the correct file to start with, then modify it as desired.

Like Bobl said you will have to erase the merc file and have a base cal file to start with or one that someone else has come up with for your engine combo, then fine tune from it.

Or you will be starting from scratch making a cal.

Smitty I bet Tyler put a password on your ecm, your going to need that to do any recalibrating, I wouldnt think the tuners will give out the passwords ,thats were they make there$$

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Banned
Gold Member

As stated previously, you cannot simply go into the Merc files and modify them. You need to have a program to upload after you delete the Merc program. The Merc programs are password protected and need to be deleted to access the ECU.

That is going to be the hurdle to over come with any system.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Like Bobl said you will have to erase the merc file and have a base cal file to start with or one that someone else has come up with for your engine combo, then fine tune from it.

Or you will be starting from scratch making a cal.

Smitty I bet Tyler put a password on your ecm, your going to need that to do any recalibrating, I wouldnt think the tuners will give out the passwords ,thats were they make there$$
I don't plan on re-writing my ecm,I have a spare I'm going to use on a N/A motor project I'm building. I'm still going to take my blower motor to Tyler to have him fine tune it after the mods I do this time around even if I buy software as I can't chance a lean spot while tuning it,not worth blowing it up with the kind of money I have wrapped up in it (you know a N/A motor could misfire lean a few times while tuning and live where a blower motor might immediately lift the heads or take the tops of the pistons off) ,Smitty
Old 05-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seemed too good to be true. I see that they are listed as "Out of Stock" on this software on thier website.

Stevesxm,
Please let us know if you are able to get a copy and how it works. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it does what they say it does (although the beta thing scares me a little).

Dave
Old 05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Registered

will advise
Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked to Dave the EFI tech today. OTC 4000 + cable and software is all that is needed. I hope he's not pissed at me for posting this. BBB

Quick Reply: mefi tuning finally available to everyone-CHEAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.