Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water problems after blower install..help >

Water problems after blower install..help

Notices

Water problems after blower install..help

Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monstaaa is 100% correct... did you do a normal "by the book" torquing sequence or did you physically check the forward bolts??? You may also have an issue with the intake... have you checked it with a flat edge?? Was the motor overheated?
I know it sounds dumb.. but we have run into intakes that were used AND already machined requiring thicker gaskets.
good luck with it.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Also handy is utilizing a dial indicator type torque wrench on the bolts... make sure they are uniform as a whole AFTER you feel like they are all tight.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you recheck your intake bolts? Check it yourself. Go around the sequence until they are all tight. even if it requires 20 rounds. For chits and grins, recheck the bolts before you do anything or tear into it.

Keep in mind, this all started with the simple intake swap, not a head removal. Stick with looking at the changes done.
Been there done that. Exactly the same problems as you.

I had under 20# PSI at WOT using the 3/4" disc. The 1/2" was to restrictive, as you found out.

I also drilled and tapped the rear water jackets and connected them to the front jackets to bleed off any chance of hot spots.

Or you can simple run a hose from each rear passage and dump it over board. Have you considered the Merc relief valve? They are pricey, but they work! My current all stock 502 MPI motors were pegging the WP gauges at over 40 PSI. Now they are right at 20 PSI at WOT.

The relief route is not the fix for your problem. Doesn't appear your pressure is that high. Fix the problem then dial in your pressure.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

ok, thanks to all you guys for your help..US1 & Monstaaa I think I get how the dumps work now..I am still leaning toward the intake again, only because I ran the 1/2" disc after I replaced the gaskets over the weekend & my guess is I blew out the intake again...my pump and impeller is all new so I could be running some high pressure at WOT...one thing I did not mention...when I first intalled this blower I had the 5/8" disc in..but I had the larger pulley and was only making 1# boost....no water problems then...when I changed out the pulley to 3 1/4" I made 3# boost with no problems....then I changed out pulley to 3" and installed 1/2" disc to try to get some temp...6# of boost but started making oil...now I have removed the disc but am still making oil, I guess once the gasket is blown it is blown....yes I have tighten and retightend the intake bolts..they are SNUG now....I will replace intake gasket again and run no disc and see what happens...THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP EVERYONE! I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's very possible you have a bad head gasket too. Is it running okay? I also guaranty you are running some serious water pressure. A friend of mine had the same problem. Turn up the air to about 35-40# and I promise you'll find your leak.(Or create one,He,He).
Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Well, I got the water problem taken care of...it was the intake gasket...I used 3M 5200 fast cure to seal it this time..it seems to have worked very well.....however; I have a knock in the engine now..I am guessing it to be a rod bearing, with all the water in the engine I was expecting this to happen. I am pulling the engine tonight and will drop the pan to see what I can do..with any luck I can just roll in some new bearings and be on my way...man, what a mess! Thanks to all of you that helped me out,...btw, I am not running any t-stat or any disc...we checked the head gaskets again and they were fine, put about 30psi air to them and they were solid....so we knew it had to be the intake again....that 5200 adhesive is some bad as$ stuff, I hope I do not have to tear the engine down, I may need to chip the intake off!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had this happen to me using felpro intake gaskets.2 different sets leaked.used mr.gaskets ultra seal and never had a problem