Price for 383 merc crate motor and details >

Price for 383 merc crate motor and details

Notices

Price for 383 merc crate motor and details

Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

I think it's a great deal, ready to go in the boat, turn-key, full factory warranty - of course my opinion is biased
Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out the hard way why Merc engines cost so much, it's because they are worth it. I could have bought a brand new 350, for what three SBC's cost me for my Minx. It's sold now, but if I had to do it again, it's a Merc or nothing at all.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered

Well,

Finally got the motor pulled and inspected. The verdict is new shortblock by way of ingested brass item. I am guessing it was a wingnut. Your guess is as good as mine how it got in there.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

Saw a trans am engine swallow a zeus fastener once, at about 7 grand. It was ugly
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
I found out the hard way why Merc engines cost so much, it's because they are worth it. I could have bought a brand new 350, for what three SBC's cost me for my Minx. It's sold now, but if I had to do it again, it's a Merc or nothing at all.
What he said. Do the 383 from bam! You'll be happy you did.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Registered

Mbam,

What would shipping come to to zip code 50021?

And for anyone else that knows,

Also, mine drive is an alpha, w/14" flywheel. Since I have the alpha bellhousing, that isn't a problem, but what about the starter, seawater pump and accessories?

Also, are the wiring harnesses interchangeable? What about throttle linkage?

If I were to purchase, I would also pull the stock exhaust and throw my Revolutions on it. I'm guessing thats not enough of a change for a re-map, but I would want to be certain.

If I were to go this route, I would want it to be a very easy change, since I can get what I have fixed for less than 1/2 that cost.

thanks

Last edited by jmherbert; 05-30-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmherbert

If I were to go this route, I would want it to be a very easy change, since I can get what I have fixed for less than 1/2 that cost.

thanks
Multiply that number for a cheaper fix times three, and you should be in the ball park. Go Merc, or don't go at all. It's your money, but I'm speaking from experience.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

cuda has lots of experience!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

Trust me, I hear ya!

The shortblock I would get would be of better internals than what the merc motor would be. (forged pistons, etc) It would be built by a builder with plenty of experience and reputation. They specialize in race motors, but they do a few marine here and there. They build something like 400-500 SBC's per year. The Merc motor would have less power, but the advantage of being able to use 87 octane. (and EFI)

IF the swap would be simple enough, with perhaps the only additions to it would be the Revolution exhaust, and maybe my Stef's Oil pan.

I could recoup some costs by selling those Dart heads, my new BG carb, and perhaps that oil pan.

The most important factor to me right now is if I were to spend that kind of money (especially on a boat that isn't worth it) I would get pretty frustrated if I had to do a lot of modifications as mentioned to get the thing to work.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered

Just ordered the 383 Mag from Mbam. He was very helpful, and I would recommend his services to anyone.

Recovered about $1000 already by selling the heads/shortblock from the old motor. Got Revolution exhaust )1 yr old) for a SBC and a Barry Grant 750 Mech secondaries/w electric choke (about 30 min use) to sell.

Thanks to Marc (Mbam) for the helpfulness!

Quick Reply: Price for 383 merc crate motor and details

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.