Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Confessions of a supercharger install up-grade, re build and re-build again >

Confessions of a supercharger install up-grade, re build and re-build again

Notices

Confessions of a supercharger install up-grade, re build and re-build again

Old 05-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confessions of a supercharger install up-grade, re build and re-build again

Started with a 7.4l Mercruiser 310hp L29 heads. Application 31’LOA 10’ beam Cruisers inc. (9000#s), 39MPH stock. Installed a Procharger M1, 5PSI pulley. MAYBE 5 Mph improvement. Lost the intake gasket shortly after initial install, oil in the water (what a mess).Installed a better intake gasket but began to worry about the head gasket, Small rods, cast pistons and steel crank. Blow-by pushed oil out the dipstick yet during the first re-build no evidence of blow by. FIRST MISTAKE WAS TO NOT HAVE LISTENED WHEN TOLD TO TRADE ENGINE FOR A 454 WITH RECTANGULAR INTAKES AND FORGED INTERNALS. First re-build bigger rods, forged pistons, and Merlin heads but had to stay with small oval intake, roller rockers, serious valves and springs. SECOND MISTAKE NEVER CHANGED THE STOCK 24# INJECTORS. Best speed 47.7 but detonated twice that I know of and I fried all of the pistons. ALSO killed the 1998 BRAVO 3. I was warned by my ECU re-programmer that I did not have big enough injectors. Most recent re-build. New 2006 BRAVO 3 outdrive with better internals. NEW 42# INJECTORS, New J&E BLOWER PISTONS. All the machine work, Aeromotive 1000 with stock f/p eliminator manifold. I have just completed an on-board re- program session with Dustin Whipple. Working good and hopefully it will last.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro!@@

It sucks to learn the hard way, but sometimes thats the best learning experience.It just ends up costing more money as usual. Hopefully this one will stay together. Just take it easy on the drive.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, what a lesson. Thanks forsharing it. What are you looking for for top end.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered

Looking for 50. I had a stern jack on for the last 3 years. My buddy convinced my wife that it caused the drive failure, but ofcourse it didn't. Dustin said I should put it back on so she said it's OK. Compression has gone down, drive ratio has gone from 2.2 down to 2.0.. Revs were @ 5000 durring our last run but speed was 45+ less than last year with the stern jack. This boat has two bedrooms, enclosed head/shower, dinette, inverter,bar, galley, barbecue, microwave,refer, inboard coolers, ect. Point it is big and heavy and it has only one engine.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey baronbob.i can feel for you.29scarab is right.those are the best learned lessens....you never forget those.i allso have a blower on my pachanga and went through teething problems too.i havent compleatly blown up a engine,but wiped out a cam,and allso a bad oil pan leak.i cannot offer much input as i am still learning about blowers.hang in there dude.you will get it right.this site and all the great people will help you greatly.it has helped me alot and given me alot of confodence.good luck.brad
Old 05-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Registered

Good rule of thumb on blower motors, Always have enough fuel. Get the best fuel pump possible.