Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
More Pro Charger tuning Progress and AFR RAtios >

More Pro Charger tuning Progress and AFR RAtios

Notices

More Pro Charger tuning Progress and AFR RAtios

Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the same regulator setup that articfriends runs Tyler Crocket set up and tuned mine. It works great 38 to 42lbs. at idle and running in vacuum and 65 under boost. He showed me on the dyno that the regulator that comes with the procharger kit was junk when he put his setup on it worked like a dream. Im making almost 800 hp and the aeromotive 1000 pump supplies it just fine. The procharger regulator would go way lean under boost...Dean
Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

I'm taking delivery of a 502mpi w/ a Procharger next week. The motor is having the same problems you guys are describing and I'm thinking it's the fuel pump, or the FMU. 50psi at idle and drops to around 37psi at rpm, banging and popping.

Where can I find more info on Tyler's setup?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Smitty

Well after a lenghty conversation with Smitty today I have come to the conclusion that he knows his stuff .....thats for sure. Smitty thanks for all of your help today...First I am going to do the 7 lb disc we spoke of and also test the PSI on the pump with the hose trick....IF i get no where I have found the regulater you have shown and I will go that route.....I will keep you posted on the progress and again thanks for all the great help.
Here is the link for the regulator for those looking for it.http://www.cartech.net/fmu2020.htm

on a side note....Know where I can find an XR upper for a decent price?
Bryan
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baronbob
I know Mark has allready asked you this but what size injectors are you running? I had Dustin program my ECU last weekend and we achieved a smooth A/F of 12 with an aeromotive 1000 and the procharger regulator. I don't know what size disk I have but I am set @ 32#s at idle and get 58#s @ WOT 5200RPM. My injectors are 42#s My HP is lower than yours so you should have 50-60# injectors. You may want to get the pressure up but you also might want to consider a higher volume injector @ the lower pressure. Mark did a great job programing my ECU but he too says there is no substitute for having the programmer on board.
Stock 500 efi injectors.....42#

Bryan
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

Bryan, I'm curious about your LM-1. Where did you install the O2 senser in the manifold? Also, did you get the handheld unit and log it to a laptop, or the gauge to install on the dash.
I am rebuilding my 502/whipple and it would be nice to know how my AFR is through out the rpm range. Maybe I have a problem and don't know.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Registered

Boost dependent regulators are garbage. You need to reprogram the ecu to read boost. Then it will increase pulse width of the injectors for fuel not force it in with pressure, this will also retard the timing with boost. Boost dependent regulator is what they use on $1200 turbo kits for hondas. Arizona speed and marine has the program for this. If you didnt know they designed the factory program for that engine.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tip Smitty. I won't bother to waste money on the fuel pump booster. I'm currently running the Aeromotive 1000 pump w/ a -10 fuel line with no problems, so I agree it should supply enough fuel for Bryan. I think I'm going to upgrade to the Aeromotive Eliminator pump which flows 800lbs perhr. instead of the 600 the 1000 flows, just to be safe.
I also agree that the best thing to do is have the ECU programmed to compensate for boost. This will probably require bigger injectors though. The 42lb/hr. injectors will flow a lot more than they are rated (they are usually rated at like 45psi) when you are putting 65psi fuel pressure to them. That's the real reason blower manufacturers use the boost referenced regulator to compenstae for the extra fuel demand - it just a whole lot cheaper than requiring an ECU reprogram and new injectors. If you can find a way to make it work without the unecessary expense - like Smitty has done - kudos to you. my 2 cents...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

BTW: Bryan, the best price I have seen on a new XR upper is Offshore Performance Specialties in Fort Myers Fla. Tele: 239 489 0884 They're listing new XR uppers at $3,895 in Powerboat magazine. This guy is super honest and a pleasure to deal with, from my experience, I bought a new 2" shortie Imco Extreme Lower for $3100 when Imco was selling it for $4100! He also has the best prices on just about every Mercury part you can think of. He also sold me a brand new Bravo -1 prop for $425 when Teague/CP etc. were selling them for like between $460-495. Give them a call.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnlomant
Boost dependent regulators are garbage. You need to reprogram the ecu to read boost. Then it will increase pulse width of the injectors for fuel not force it in with pressure, this will also retard the timing with boost. Boost dependent regulator is what they use on $1200 turbo kits for hondas. Arizona speed and marine has the program for this. If you didnt know they designed the factory program for that engine.
ECU has been reprogrammed and the injectors are set to run@ max duty cylcle already....I feel my leaning out up top is not an issue of injectors but rather not enough fuel preassure for the givin RPM's Was goung to go the route of bigger injectors and 2 bar map sensor but was told by some of the best in the biz for 5lbs of boost it was not neccesary to do this. I agree that on an engine running big boost and all that this would not be an option but would be mandatory.

John on a side note I found when cleaning the fuel cooler that is was clogged with bits of impellar from the other motor that must have overheated because nothing would pass through what I cleaned out of it. Good thing I checked and double checked everything before installing it on my motor. So hows the boat coming along....Looks like you got a new ride? I think I saw you now have a 28 ft Nordic heat? nice looking boat

Bryan
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
Bryan, I'm curious about your LM-1. Where did you install the O2 senser in the manifold? Also, did you get the handheld unit and log it to a laptop, or the gauge to install on the dash.
I am rebuilding my 502/whipple and it would be nice to know how my AFR is through out the rpm range. Maybe I have a problem and don't know.
I installed in the tailpipe right behind the collar at the 11 o'clock position...surviving there for now but have only run it twice....I di have a spare in case it craps out during testing. As for the LM-I I got it at summit....kind of pricey buit cheaper than melting a motor down $ 349.00............
I got the plainest one they have and it is hand held ...only wanted it for testing and then it will go on the tool shelf for future projects or to friends who need some help with getting things right. Works well so far and will be using on my boat this weekend as well as another friends procharged motor for some fine tuning. Invaluable tool to say the least. Take my situation for example....My motor is on the rich side until about 4800 then it drops out, you know as well as I do pulling out of the throttle @ 80 + to do a plug reading is just insane...Crash waiting to happen not to mention drive breakage .....so I would have thought well I will do a plug reading @ 45-5000 and be done.....boy would I have been wrong ...everything would have looked fine on the plugs but in reality would have been to close for comfort on the top.....and I never would have known until it was to late. Thank goodness I do.

Food for thought. cheap insurance..................or not

Bryan

Quick Reply: More Pro Charger tuning Progress and AFR RAtios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.