Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooo, did the harness fix it?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 AM
Registered

im dealing with the same issue as well, except with twins and they both go into guardian mode. Teague marine already tried clearing the codes once, test drove it and did it again. Good to know it might be a wiring harness ill throw that out at the tech just in case. The fastest ive gone in my boat is 35ish, and I bought it new exactly a month ago.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Well that's awful coincidental that both would happen at the same time. There must be some common denominator between the two, to kick in the faults & guardian?? What are the codes your mech is finding on both?

Last edited by Reckless32; 06-28-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

not sure what codes, spoke to him today... he said he got mercury involved and looks like its a low voltage problem and it has to do with the wiring harness.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Remember that voltage problems can be both on the hot side (positive) and the ground (negative) side. It takes both to get good clean voltage.
Have them check, clean and recconect the grounds both the battery ground and the engine harness and ECM grounds on both engines and at the batteries. A loose positive or poor ground can cause havoc on any marine engine and its electronic systems. Sometimes on new boats its sometimes just a mistake of not going back over connections and making sure they are clean and tight.

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Registered

took the boat out again today to test it after having the wires all sorted out basicaly everything raylar mentioned was done, and I have the same PHUKING PROBLEM!! now its really getting frustrating. The guys at Teague Marine are great guys fortunitly specially Bob (not the owner) what a nice guy he is. He is doing the best he can working with mercury on this problem. I just cant believe I had such bad luck with this boat. I think I got a lemon!!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Registered

I finally got my boat fixed, it took a long time for Mercury to agree to replacing the wiring harness under warranty, service guy said it was a $1400 part. No problems now. It sounds like part of the root cause is due to a grounding problem at the seawater pump. Service guy says there is a bulletin out for the paint to be sanded away to allow for metal to metal contact.

I'm just glad Mercury covered under warranty since mine had actually expired.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phastenuf
I finally got my boat fixed, it took a long time for Mercury to agree to replacing the wiring harness under warranty, service guy said it was a $1400 part. No problems now. It sounds like part of the root cause is due to a grounding problem at the seawater pump. Service guy says there is a bulletin out for the paint to be sanded away to allow for metal to metal contact.

I'm just glad Mercury covered under warranty since mine had actually expired.
Glad it fixed the problem. Sounds like we had the same issue.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Well mercury didn't cover chit on an electrical problem we had with a 6.2. Boat would shut off at cruising speed when it hit a good wave or you speed up. After a couple of trips to the mechanic he finally found the culprit. An exposed wire was tapping up against a piece of metal and shorting out the fuel pump. It sounds like mercury has some wiring issues that they need to fix before somebody gets hurt.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=TexomaPowerboater;2186439 It sounds like mercury has some wiring issues that they need to fix before somebody gets hurt.[/QUOTE]

Not wanting to sound like a racist but thatīs what you get when you see Merc Stuff have made in China printed on them...was looking at a 496HO in a staggered engine bay yesterday and wasnīt impressed !!!!

As a sidenote Same thing happened with Alfa Romeo when they started they southern plant in Arese....
Being mostly former fishermen working at the plant made Alfaīs rep go seriously downhill ever since.
No fishers working at the Milano plant...

Quick Reply: 496 HO Electrical gremlins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.