496 HO Quick oil change Procedure >

496 HO Quick oil change Procedure

Notices

496 HO Quick oil change Procedure

Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO Quick oil change Procedure

I am looking to see if anyone has the procedure to change the oil on the 496 HO. I cannot find my manuals and need to change the oil. I have found my oil line under the engine and took out the plug and nothing comes out. It claims it is quick and easy, but what am I missing. Thanks for your help in advance.
D
Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I have a 30 outlaw with the same quick change. There is nothing quick about it. Takes forever to get all the oil out. I take the screw off the hose, take off the oil filter and pull the dip stick, and let it sit over night well it drain.

Some people start up the motor and warm it up first drains a little faster than when it is cold.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

Thanks, I will give that a shot. I had pulled the dip stick and took the cap off, the filter might to the trick.
D
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Takes a while for the oil to drain out of that hose. I would see it start to come out and let it sit over night by the moring it would be all out of there. I use a 5 gallon bucket fills it to the top.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Registered

I've read that some people punch a hole in the top of the oil filter with a screw driver. I did that last fall. That lets a lot of the oil out of the filter before you pull it. I got the oil draining and went and mowed the yard. I think it took at least half an hour or a little longer to drain on my rig. Definately not a Quick Change, but not as messy as pumping from the dipstick.

Pat
Old 06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Start it up first to heat up and thin the oil plus suspend the contaminants in the oil to drain out. Then allow it to drain for a few hours. I usually drain my drives at the same time, and usally overnight. But definitely heat the motors up, punch a hole in the top of the oil filter (screw driver) to release vacume and drain the filter (filters have an anti-syphon valve inside).
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

If the motor is warm, pop a hole in the oil filter, loosen the fill cap, and make sure the oil drain tube is running straight out and down....out the back of the transom plug and into a bucket. Mine only takes an hr or so to stop dripping.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't wait for it to drain out the hose...suck it out with a pump
Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Don't wait for it to drain out the hose...suck it out with a pump
Not when you see the stuff that will drain from the corner near the pan drain plug. But, whatever floats your boat I guess. When the oil is warm it really doesnt take more than 30-45 minutes to drain out....completely.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a shop vac. get a royal purple or round style gear lube container , cut the filler neck bigger to flow more oil, and cut container so as to adapt to large vac fitting. It took 45 Min to drain 14Qts. It works... BBB

Quick Reply: 496 HO Quick oil change Procedure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.