Compression Numbers (in psi) to determine blower compatibility >

Compression Numbers (in psi) to determine blower compatibility

Notices

Compression Numbers (in psi) to determine blower compatibility

Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression Numbers (in psi) to determine blower compatibility

Looking for a way to determine if an engine (that is complete) is compatible for supercharging. it would seem that using a compression guage to obtain actual compression numbers might be a way to do this. Anyone know if it works and/or the numbers that work with a blower? Say under 150psi is ok, etc.

I am trying to run a small weiand blower from a 525sc and don't really want to tear down the motor to do a compression "ratio" calculation.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

would like to work on it this evening...any thoughts....
Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Registered

no. cranking compression means nothing. you need to know the static compression ratio.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
no. cranking compression means nothing. you need to know the static compression ratio.
That's one vote no and one PM yes....who wants to be the tie-breaker?! I can see it both ways but honestly I'm siding with this being possible. Dynamic numbers would seem to be very real world and would go up as static compression goes up. Not to mention you couldn't really calculate dynamic #s when doing an engine build hence the reason for engine builders using a static number.

Wish I had a 7.5:1 and a 10:1 to compare....
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

There is some corralation between cylinder compression and comp ratio, however;Compression (PSI) in each cylinder, is not the same as the compression ratio of an engine...compression in a cylinder is basically determined by the ring sealing ability and the valve sealing ability...compression RATIO is determined by the piston geometry and the head dome cc's...among other things like head gasket thickness and rod length & cam timing....
Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bajapred
There is some corralation between cylinder compression and comp ratio, however;Compression (PSI) in each cylinder, is not the same as the compression ratio of an engine...compression in a cylinder is basically determined by the ring sealing ability and the valve sealing ability...compression RATIO is determined by the piston geometry and the head dome cc's...among other things like head gasket thickness and rod length & cam timing....
Agreed (except leakdown #s are even better for determining ring/seal leakage) but looking for other options than tearing down the motor. The motor is very fresh (15 hrs/unknown engine builder/parts) so if someone has reference numbers (psi) for comparison that would help. Gonna try to get a bore scope and at least see what model pistons I'm working with but don't have immediate access to one. Hell this sucker could have domed pistons for all I know...
Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered

It is different for each engine..take an engine that has 10:1 compression and one that has 7.5:1 and you might see the same cylinder pressure or you might not.....but take an engine that has 7.5 compression ratio with 120PSI cylinder pressure and raise the compression ratio, your cylinder pressure will raise as well, just because of mathmatics.....to know wether or not you have an engine that is a good candidate for a blower application, you must first know what the static compression is..just like Steve said
Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Registered

(Quote from Fantastixvoyage)
"I am trying to run a small weiand blower from a 525sc and don't really want to tear down the motor to do a compression "ratio" calculation.."

Well, I understand your unwillingness to tear down a perfectly good engine, but it might be time well spent if you find out you have some kind of crazy cam in this thing with domed pistons.....

Last edited by Bajapred; 06-18-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bajapred
It is different for each engine..take an engine that has 10:1 compression and one that has 7.5:1 and you might see the same cylinder pressure or you might not.....but take an engine that has 7.5 compression ratio with 120PSI cylinder pressure and raise the compression ratio, your cylinder pressure will raise as well, just because of mathmatics.....to know wether or not you have an engine that is a good candidate for a blower application, you must first know what the static compression is..just like Steve said

I know, that's why I was trying to narrow it down with mentioning that it was fresh. I'm not disagreeing with anyone just seems to me that these dynamic numbers would tell alot. Wouldn't the numbers change drastically between a 10:1 and 7.5:1 (both fresh)? Say 170 vs 120??

Oh well, its been a long day and maybe i'm not thinking straight. popping a head to start and see what I'm working with (all I know is TRW forged) and if I'm close (flat or reverse dome) I'll run it. Otherwise I'll just cam it down (was a rather large ultradyne) and run N/A till the winter.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Registered

Oh ya and this boat really needs a 540 which I hope to build this winter....just like I said last summer!

Quick Reply: Compression Numbers (in psi) to determine blower compatibility

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.