Notices

Oil running too hot

Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
BBB,

Strange. Having the exact same problem with one of mine. Fresh O-hour complete rebuilds set up and dynoed by same individual. Merc remote filter blocks and t-stats. Coolers flushed and inspected. Oil temp rises quicker, and runs ~25* warmer than the other. This is the power steering engine, so running extra PS cooler. Going to change out the T-stat and also install water pressure guages next.
Good Luck. I have the same problem with the same engine. I've just removed and cleaned the oil cooler (again) and replaced the entire oil thermostat housing (after removing, cleaning, testing). The thermostat would expand in boiling water just like the new one but didn't open as far. Getting to that thermostat housing is a Bit(h on an EFI motor!!!! (bottom in the center of the boat) I'll know sat if it's finally working right.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t500hps
Good Luck. I have the same problem with the same engine. I've just removed and cleaned the oil cooler (again) and replaced the entire oil thermostat housing (after removing, cleaning, testing). The thermostat would expand in boiling water just like the new one but didn't open as far. Getting to that thermostat housing is a Bit(h on an EFI motor!!!! (bottom in the center of the boat) I'll know sat if it's finally working right.

Russ,

Any luck finding your problem yet?

My oil filter blocks and t-stats are mounted upper rear port side of the motors and not too hard to get to.

Do you have your oil temp senders mounted in the remote filter housing or in the engine block itself?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Russ,

Any luck finding your problem yet?

My oil filter blocks and t-stats are mounted upper rear port side of the motors and not too hard to get to.

Do you have your oil temp senders mounted in the remote filter housing or in the engine block itself?

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!! Ran her to 5,000 RPM's and no temp issues at all!!

On the EFI's the thermostat is in the oil filter relocation bracket on the bottom port side of the motor. (Carb'ed is up on top). I have a couple little things I want to get done but nothing that keeps me from using the boat.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
IT'S FIXED!!!!!!! Ran her to 5,000 RPM's and no temp issues at all!!

On the EFI's the thermostat is in the oil filter relocation bracket on the bottom port side of the motor. (Carb'ed is up on top). I have a couple little things I want to get done but nothing that keeps me from using the boat.

So what was it? T-stat?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
Talked yesterday to Kurt (biggus) he truly is a brilliant man...
Hummmmm.

Was that before or after he let his dog drive is truck into the river?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

So what was it? T-stat?
The oil T-stat got hung up on a small piece of metal when the motor detonated. After re-building and the motor oil running hot I put the new and old T-stat in boiling water. The old one would open but it started out shorter than the new one and wouldn't open as far as the new one. Just in case I replaced the entire t-stat housing since I had the new parts there anyway. Since nothing came out of the oil cooler I'm sure that wasn't the problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well , bbb and i swapt the water lines from the pickups. still having the port moter oil temp shoot up to 265 if i drive higher then 4000 rpm. the power steering is on the other motor so thats not the issue. i can say its definetly not a water issue, we checked and replumbed anyway. both motors are set up identacle. could the problem be in my 14 qwart oil pan ? i think they have trap doors,,, i dont think my remote oil adater has a check valve so ware would it be ?? oh i purchased another $ 500 oil cooler and that wasnt the problem. this is driving me nuts.. any help ??
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe its time to switch sending unit wires on your guages or have you checked your Ot w/ a lab type thermometor?Is there anything on the hull near the water pickups?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you running a Gen 6 block, if so the oil filter by pass is in the filter pad of the block. It sounds like you've got the wrong by-pass in there. If you do, the hot oil will by pass the filter and oil cooler.

Give me a call, I'm working on the island today.

Kurt 715-410-0735
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

It's still hot even after changing the filter adapter on the block.
Maybe motor has to come out and have bottom end examined. Maybe bearing clearances are too tight. I didn't build the motor !

Quick Reply: Oil running too hot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.