Oil Line/fitting ?? >

Oil Line/fitting ??

Notices

Oil Line/fitting ??

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Line/fitting ??

Getting time to plumb my oil system. I plan to go with -12 AN.

I'm not real crazy about the looks or price of braided SS lines so I'm thinking of the push on lines. Summit seems to have decent prices on the hose and fittings.

Can anyone offer some real world experiences concerning the push on, or twist on type hose and fittings ?? Any leaking or other problems I should know about ?

Also, regarding a filter head .... I want to mount the filter/head so when I remove the filter (during oil changes) I can get a coffee can or similar size container under the filter to catch leaking oil. Question ... can all filter heads be mounted so the filter is on top of and or over the head ? That way the warm/hot oil would not drain down on my hands when I'm removing the filter.... so I'm thinking LOL

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks !!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kid,

pushfit hose works great, however it's hard to find one that's rated for a high enough temp. I will definitely use it next time, my braided hose is starting to age and it's getting painful to work around.

It shouldn't matter which way your filter mount is placed as long as you are using an a filter with an anti-drain-back valve IMO. I put mine with the filter down, but in retrospect sideways would make it easier to catch all the oil.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
Hey Kid,

pushfit hose works great, however it's hard to find one that's rated for a high enough temp. I will definitely use it next time, my braided hose is starting to age and it's getting painful to work around.

It shouldn't matter which way your filter mount is placed as long as you are using an a filter with an anti-drain-back valve IMO. I put mine with the filter down, but in retrospect sideways would make it easier to catch all the oil.
Aerquip says their lines are good to +300*. Heck that outta do it, I hope If not, there are bigger problems

Thing is, I haven't heard/read too much about the push on stuff, good or bad, and just don't want to make a mistake by using the wrong stuff.

And yes, I too was thinking that mounting the filter sideways would work/help with burning the hands while changing the oil. Damn that hurts ..........

Thanks for the info !!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/aero5.htm

Used it in my race car, would not hesitate to use in the boat. Only "bad" stuff is make sure you use a socketless hose assembly lube, and do not mix brands of hose & fittings. Aeroquip, Goodridge, XRP, Earl's...they're all making socketless hose and fittings; pick one and get everything from that brand.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

dont do it. last year i had a 3/4 airoqwpt push on hose pop off the oil cooler. tosted the moter instantly. baught another brand new moter and this time i used the ss braided hoses with the 12 an screw on ends. i lost almost all of last season , and a new bran new moter.(a lot of money). the marina that did the instalation did not take any responsability. it happened on the first test drive with there mechanic on board. the airoqwipt pushlock hoses were only 2 seasons old.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by teddy38
dont do it. last year i had a 3/4 airoqwpt push on hose pop off the oil cooler. tosted the moter instantly. baught another brand new moter and this time i used the ss braided hoses with the 12 an screw on ends. i lost almost all of last season , and a new bran new moter.(a lot of money). the marina that did the instalation did not take any responsability. it happened on the first test drive with there mechanic on board. the airoqwipt pushlock hoses were only 2 seasons old.
teddy - You mention that the Aeroquip hoses used on the 1st NEW motor were two seasons old. Sounds like the hoses were used, or maybe re-used ?? Not "picking", just curious as I'm gathering info on this stuff.

btw.... if I go with the push on's, to be safe I'd also use hose clamps too. Just the way I am ..........

Thanks for the info. And that really sux about the motor !!

handfulz - Thank you for the link.

Last edited by Kidnova; 06-20-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

have used the genuine aeroquip push on from henry's engineering in md for years on every race application there is without issue. ... im just curious why you think you need -12 lines... the flow rate and pressure demands don't warrant it and the inside dia is going to be about 50 % bigger than the port and oil gallery ids.... so what do you think you are gaining except weight ?

i ran dry sumps with three times the flow rate of a standard pump w/ -10 forever bigger isn't always better.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

You're welcome.
i agree with stevesxm, -10.
There's a special clamp for socketless hose; not necessary but the money you save from using -10 instead of -12 should pay for the right clamps
Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I just used Aeroquip 10 AN push-on with XRP clamps for my oil system. I like it alot. I got 10' of black 10 AN push on left over if your interested.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

I'm thinking -12 because I've always battled oil temp issues with my ZZ502/502. With the ZZ502 I went to a Hardin oil cooler good for 700 hp, removed the center bypass valve in the block and installed a 30 lb in the side, and drilled 3 - 3/16 in. holes in the thermostat. After doing that mentioned, oil temps are acceptable. I will add, I had been using the stock 1/2 inch Merc lines and fittings, which I'm sure did not help any.

The ZZ502 has been stroked/bored to a 557 CI. So, I'm thinking -12 will do the job, without a bunch of changing this and changing that kind of stuff. I know the -12 AN is on the big side. But I figure lines/fittings that are too big, would be better than lines/fittings too small.

stevesxm - I realize the oil galleries are smaller than the -12 AN's (galleries about 1/2 inch or so ??). Not to harp, but guess I'm just leary of oil temp issues. Any harm to be done plumbing with lines and fittings that are -12/too big ??

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Oil Line/fitting ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.