Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Installed Dana marine flow torque 496HO, need some help?? >

Installed Dana marine flow torque 496HO, need some help??

Notices

Installed Dana marine flow torque 496HO, need some help??

Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Dana marine flow torque 496HO, need some help??

Got everything hooked up today, double checked everything and then cranked it up.. sounds awesome! i let it idle for a good while and checked for water leaks, and couldnt find any, then i checked for oil leaks and didnt see any either. so far so good, temp was around 160ish, water coming out both tips.. so i decided to go ahead and give it some gas, (please keep in mind this is on the hose not in the water) and then the alarm sounded and when into guardin mode. port side riser very hot to the touch, other side not so hot.. im assuming it was the manifold temp sender that put it into guardin mode, but who knows, like i said no leaks what so ever, water coming out tips, but port riser very hot. one thing that i didnt like right off the get go, was the jumper hose dana gives to install from manifold to riser, not a very good fit, kinda kinks it, but i didnt think it was enough to cause this? any ideas? thoughts? im startin to get very irritated with this, i just want to ride.. please help..
Old 06-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Unhappy help

i was also wondering if there's anything i can do to start testing certain things like the manifold temp senders, can those be ohmed out? they are the brass and they are brand new, i just bought them, or if there a way i can trick the system and figure out what is causing it. also my drive bottle has oil and the engine has oil as well, so im almost 95% sure its a water concern, please help..
Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

any ideas?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Registered

Ritts,
I assuming that you haven't had any trouble before the install? Have you had the boat out on the water this year? You can't usually get the proper water flow out of a hose. I always use a giant plastic tub filled with water under the outdrive. It is possible that you weren't getting the proper water flow to cool the engine and everything. I would try and take it to a body of water before trying to fool sensors and such. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have found that Exhaust Manifolds all get hot on the hose, back it down the ramp and check it there.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 06-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Default overheat

I always flush my boat on a garden hose when i get home, its never been a problem before, ran awesome.. i cant see why adding some exhaust would change that, these manifolds use the same check valves from the stock old stuff so its the same water coming in.. also one manifold was warm and the port was hot, i could barely keep my hand on it, which is not normal, the stock stuff i could hold onto no prob. but i do plan to back down the ramp this AM and see how it acts, im also putting a longer jump hose to see if that helps. from there who knows, more to follow.. next step is a merc. computer to see what codes im getting and why?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If the riser bypass hose(s) is(are) kinked it can slow the sea water flow throughout the entire cooling system resulting in everything running hotter than normal under all conditions. In other words do what ever is necessary to get all the kinks out of the riser bypass hose. I installed the Dana's with the O2 sensor blocks and the suppied hoses were too short so I jury rigged some hose to get running that also had kinks. The engine temperature was then ~20*F hotter than normal until I added some hose clamps at the kinks to make them round again. Temperature then back too normal. The manifold and risers and exhaust hose were not abnormally hot however and no warning buzzer or Guardian mode kick in.

If your exhaust manifold was hot to the touch it is not getting enough cooling water for what ever reason and the sensor should go off. Where and what parts of the manifold / riser / exhaust hose were hot to the touch? You may have internal blockage somewhere that is causing the restriction or internal diversion of the sea water flow.

Originally Posted by rittsbaja25
Got everything hooked up today, double checked everything and then cranked it up.. sounds awesome! i let it idle for a good while and checked for water leaks, and couldnt find any, then i checked for oil leaks and didnt see any either. so far so good, temp was around 160ish, water coming out both tips.. so i decided to go ahead and give it some gas, (please keep in mind this is on the hose not in the water) and then the alarm sounded and when into guardin mode. port side riser very hot to the touch, other side not so hot.. im assuming it was the manifold temp sender that put it into guardin mode, but who knows, like i said no leaks what so ever, water coming out tips, but port riser very hot. one thing that i didnt like right off the get go, was the jumper hose dana gives to install from manifold to riser, not a very good fit, kinda kinks it, but i didnt think it was enough to cause this? any ideas? thoughts? im startin to get very irritated with this, i just want to ride.. please help..
Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Registered

If you have a low water pick up on your drive, make sure to tape it up so you can build high enough water pressure while on the hose.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Try using 3/4" wire reinforced water hose for the jumper- it won't kink. I had to do that on my port side manifold.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Default help

just so you all know me and my buddy hooked everything up in the manner the direction called for, and there are no kinks coming into the manifold and i didnt have any problems before we started this, so i dont think i have a blockage, i did have a semi kinked hose going from manifold to riser, so i went got a much longer hose and made one to see if that helps. thats the only thing that i can see, but i dont even see how that would have caused it.

my buddy who is a merc mechanic looked at it yesterday and noticed that the ECT is on the back of the manifold and the water inlet(check valve thing) coming into manifold is in or near the front. then he said and then the manifold to riser hose is also in the front and we all know water takes the path of least resistance, so the ECT isnt getting much water flow and getting to hot... which is a valid point and this was a major problem for eddie marine as well.. the only problem with this is im sure dana marine would say that they have enough of these exhaust sets out there that never had this problem and there all hooked up this way.. so im not sure what im going to do.. we'll see how todays run goes

Quick Reply: Installed Dana marine flow torque 496HO, need some help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.