Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger, oil pressure and water temp????? >

Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Notices

Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
Did you block off your oil bypass valve? Mine runs 65-75 psi when cold around 45-55 psi cruising and drops to 25-30 psi at idle after a run. You need to get a oil temp and fuel pressure gauge asap.
If you set this up right and monitor it you'll love it.
Where is the oil bypass valve?

Still working on fuel Pressure Guage.... Shame on Autometer and Dana Marine..... Both have outright said they sold me a Fuel Pressure Guage and don't/sell make the sending unit for it. I have wasted days and several (30+) phone calls trying to obtain the proper sending unit for the guage with no results, and no return phone calls from either company...... Im starting to think they went to customer service school with the guys from Procharger (sorry for the rant)
Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trawfish

Still working on fuel Pressure Guage.... Shame on Autometer and Dana Marine..... Both have outright said they sold me a Fuel Pressure Guage and don't/sell make the sending unit for it. I have wasted days and several (30+) phone calls trying to obtain the proper sending unit for the guage with no results, and no return phone calls from either company...... Im starting to think they went to customer service school with the guys from Procharger (sorry for the rant)
There is one in the block and one in the remote filter relocator I believe. DO NOT use a electric gauge. They are sh*t. I mechanical one doesn't cost anymore. Run it off the front of your fuel rail and you'll know exactly what pressure your running.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Your right, it is very unfortunate that Autometer does not make a sender for their electric fuel pressure gauge. They never have, SW and VDO has always been used, not only by Autometer, but by every gauge manufacturer. As far as Dana Marine not calling you back, I can't imagine you want me to call you back without an answer. As I've discussed with you (over the last three days and two phone calls) I'm waiting on an answer from Autometer. I apologize for the delay but unfortunately I'm struggling to get information from them. I have SW and VDO senders in stock. Autometer has always been calibrated to VDO specs, thus requiring a VDO sender. For some reason they seemed to have changed. We've been using VDO senders with the Autometer electrical fuel psi gauges for the last year with no problems. As of yesterday, I put in another call to our rep demanding some information. As soon as I have an answer, I'll be calling you.

Last edited by dana marine products; 07-13-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

There is one in the block and one in the remote filter relocator I believe. DO NOT use a electric gauge. They are sh*t. I mechanical one doesn't cost anymore. Run it off the front of your fuel rail and you'll know exactly what pressure your running.

I agree with the mechanical being more accurate and they are certainly cheaper, but they can be unsafe as well. I may have no choice here pretty quick.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the mechanical being more accurate and they are certainly cheaper, but they can be unsafe as well. I may have no choice here pretty quick.
They're as safe as 6 or 8 other things on a boat.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

Here is a thread with pictures of the oil passages

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=oil+filter
Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 AM
Registered

They're as safe as 6 or 8 other things on a boat.
This is true....

I think I am on my way to installing the mechanical guage anyway. It sounds like Autometer made a boo boo and put out some bad guages and I don't think I will wait for them to figure it out.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Here is a thread with pictures of the oil passages

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=oil+filter
Hey Turbo,

Thanks for the link. The problem I am having is too much oil pressure, it sounds like the issues solved with the bypass springs are low pressue issues.

Are you running a Procharger? If so, can you give me details on how you remounted your oil filter. The joke of a photocopied manual I have never explained the relocation, and I did not receive a bracket as I bought my system used. I had to make up a bracket and I still used the stock lines just in different locations. I had good, normal pressure before the install and now it's very high.

Also, when I first start the engine the pressure quage almost looks like it comes up in steps and not a smooth motion... kind of strange... ever heard of that ?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I have just installed an m1-sc on my 7.4 MPI. First I have to say I agree with the many posts I have read on this sight.... Procharger manuals and customer service leave alot to be desired.

Now, I got it installed, It actually works very well but..... my water temp does not register it stays so cool.

I have no problem with this necessarily, but my oil pressure never gets below 60 PSI and will rise above 80PSI (guage max) at higher rpm. I changed to a lighter grade oil, and this made some, but very little difference.

I have read many statements about a 120 Deg. thermostat on here, but can not find one to buy.

What is your take on the cooling/Oil temp issue?

Thanks.
Steve
You've got a lot going on. First off, did you recently change gauges? I've noticed on some installs that Autometer gauges read a little different than Merc. gauges, I would recommend putting their sending units in with their gauges. I know Autometer offers 0-80 and 0-100 on their oil pressure gauge.

As for the thermostat, you'll find a lot of different ideas, but with a Procharger I would personally just run a restrictor plate. Someone posted before, you want the protection from detonation, so let it run as cool as it can.

There are threads about running crossovers with blower motors and many discussion about setting them up right on this forum. It seems the consensus is that you need the restrictor plate set-up correctly.

Last but not least, if you get your sending unit/gauge issue with the oil pressure solved and you're still running 80 psi, you may want to consider that you have some excessive blowby. A leakdown test may be in order.

I'm not a big fan of mechanical fuel pressure gauges on efi motors. There's a big difference between 9 psi carbureted and 45 psi efi. Nothing like a 45psi fuel leak behind your dash. The elec has worked just fine for me. Gaffrig and Livorsi can sell you a sending unit for that gauge. Install it after the regulator and as close to the fuel rail, if not it, as you can.

Oil temp is another good to have gauge.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

One more thing, 7.4 mpi and not 7.4 mag? Cast internals on the mpi, be careful, any detonation and it will be over.

Quick Reply: Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.