Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers

Notices

Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers

Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers

If ya guys had a choice for a 540 with good parts what would be your choice in forced air induction......Just curios, i will be tackling it in the next up and coming winter.....Would like the pro and cons from the guys who have tried them.....
Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BDS 10-71 on my 540's with a whipple chiller. Tommy @ chief set them up. No complaints for 3 seasons If I were to do it again, I might look at a whipple quad rotor.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Registered

What outdrive are you planing on using? The quad rotor whipple will build enough torque at low rpm to take out a bravo xr. Procharger or vortex do not build very much boost/torque at low rpm.

While you are looking, look at the Rtech intercooler setup.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Registered

I love my Whipple. Best looking install if you ask me. Whipple is comming out with a bigger blower to eliminate the quad rotor set up, So I have heard from my supplier. May be something you want to keep and ear out for.

Here is what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers-lost-pics-005-oso.jpg  

Last edited by Canada Jeff; 07-05-2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: up load picture
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Turbojack
What outdrive are you planing on using? The quad rotor whipple will build enough torque at low rpm to take out a bravo xr. Procharger or vortex do not build very much boost/torque at low rpm.

While you are looking, look at the Rtech intercooler setup.
speedmaster #3......I am not real worried about breaking drive or trans parts, i should be good to 850 hoarse or so if i ease it on plane, just wanted to get a idea of what most guys use....................It seems like all guys with merc stock power whipple charge and all old school guys with heavy boats use big cubes and big blowers............
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
I love my Whipple. Best looking install if you ask me. Whipple is comming out with a bigger blower to eliminate the quad rotor set up, So I have heard from my supplier. May be something you want to keep and ear out for.

Here is what mine looks like.
looks nice jeff
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whipple's are very efficient. low air charge temps by comparison. they also require less clearance under the hatche's.

typical blower, b.d.s, require more h.p to turn , especially upstair's. need more room under hatch. but hey are also proven, and their are alot of talented individual's who are knowledgable of them.

vortec or centrifugal are leadt common and usually are more difficult to dial in and their are less pro's that work with them.

one thing is for sure the whipple'sare coast guard approved as they use a serpintine belt as apposed to the cog style, if you have strict law enforcement.

in the 2 first mentioned you can have some pretty end result's.
Attached Thumbnails Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers-e2.jpg   Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers-arinow-004.jpg  
Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Registered

All the Merc's are using the Whipple styled blowers, if that means anything. It speaks volumes to me !
Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

We just sold a pair of Rtech centrifugal supercharging systems to a customer with a heavy Scarab and 540s and #5s. According to the positive displacement blower fans, this boat shouldn't even get on plane with centrifugals due to lower boost levels, but it does just fine. If you want to talk to the owner I can arrange it. You can read more at this thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=161800

Nothing can beat the efficiency of a well matched centrifugal compressor. If you want independent verification, pick up this months Mustangs and Fast Fords and read the article comparing 4 different supercharger systems. The Vortech makes more HP with less boost than the Kenne-Bell screw compressor, right in mid RPM range where you would nail it in one of those impromptu lake races.

Another article compares a Vortech Saleen engine to a very similar Kenne-Bell Cobra engine. If you're drag racing the Kenne-Bell takes it, from a rolling start the Vortech takes it. Just decide which scenario is most like your boat driving habits.

Anybody wanting to learn about different supercharger types and performance would benefit from reading Richard Holdener's frequent articles on the subject in various car magazines. Somehow the car mags are better at head to head testing. Even when the editorial is a little sugar-coated to keep all advertisers happy, the truth is in the tables and graphs.

Whatever you decide, you need a blower.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered

Hey Nocig, I've been doing the same decision process as you. At this point, I'm leaning towards an 8-71 or 10-71 blown 540. I've got an Imco drive on my Pantera and I'm shooting for 750-800hp. I've thought about whipple, but I really like the look of a classic rootes blower.

By the way, I love your old Mag!

Quick Reply: Blowers Superchargers Whipple Chargers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.