Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you know if octane stated on pump is accurate? >

How do you know if octane stated on pump is accurate?

Notices

How do you know if octane stated on pump is accurate?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How do you know if octane stated on pump is accurate?

How do you know if when purchasing 93 from a station on land if it is really 93? With the price of fuel I can see some stations wanting to increase profits a bit and mixing in some lower octane. Perhaps the driver could make a mistake? I only purchase from name brand stations but I am curious how often the product may get mixed into the wrong tanks. I assume that doing that intentionally would be against the law but s**t happens.

Is there a quick test kit?

Any thoughts on the likelihood of this happening? For some of us running boost or high compression this could be a fatal event. How many engines have melted down due to getting the wrong fuel?
Tim T.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had fuel checked by the county Weights and Measures a couple of times when my car started pinging more than I expected. Each time the fuel sample they took met the octane specs.

Michael
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDog
How do you know if when purchasing 93 from a station on land if it is really 93? With the price of fuel I can see some stations wanting to increase profits a bit and mixing in some lower octane. Perhaps the driver could make a mistake? I only purchase from name brand stations but I am curious how often the product may get mixed into the wrong tanks. I assume that doing that intentionally would be against the law but s**t happens.

Is there a quick test kit?

Any thoughts on the likelihood of this happening? For some of us running boost or high compression this could be a fatal event. How many engines have melted down due to getting the wrong fuel?
Tim T.
In Mi the bureau of wegts and measures is more concerned about gas staions shorting people than giving the wrong octane. In a article in the detroit freepress last year they said 20% of gas stations tested had LOWER octane then what they claimed. I had a snowmobile that required 92 octane or better,ran it 80 miles with no problems,bought 93 octane at a small UP gas station,it detonated itself apart 7 miles later so,yes,it is VERY possible to get lower octane gas then what the pump claims. My boat needs 92 plus octane,I buy 80% of my gas from a local station that I trust (they also DON"T sell ethanol),when I buy gas out of town I often buy 10 or 20 gallons of race gas if possible to ensure I have enough octane,Smitty
Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
In Mi the bureau of wegts and measures is more concerned about gas staions shorting people than giving the wrong octane. In a article in the detroit freepress last year they said 20% of gas stations tested had LOWER octane then what they claimed. I had a snowmobile that required 92 octane or better,ran it 80 miles with no problems,bought 93 octane at a small UP gas station,it detonated itself apart 7 miles later so,yes,it is VERY possible to get lower octane gas then what the pump claims. My boat needs 92 plus octane,I buy 80% of my gas from a local station that I trust (they also DON"T sell ethanol),when I buy gas out of town I often buy 10 or 20 gallons of race gas if possible to ensure I have enough octane,Smitty
Had the same thing happen to us in Caddy. Bought what we thought was 93 octane, ran the sled a few miles. kapawwie!! Melt down. Tested the fuel was 86 octane! Plain BS the owner of the station has since been boycotted by many individual and checked freuntly.

Whats up Smitty? You going to Hardy soon??
Old 07-07-2007, 02:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doctor up your fuel with 114 octane Toluene available at any hardware store for about $9 Gal. Avoid Xylene or otherwise called Xylol its 116 octane and will destroy fuel pumps carbs lines and any other parts. It is actually a rubber solvent used in the industry. Be safe instead of sorry ! Avoid Methanol and these fuels like VP unless you plan to burn up everything in your tank, or drain it. My buddy could not get out of his canal because he used the race fuel and had 3 gallons of water in his tank. Pure BS ! BBB