Notices

Overheat HP525

Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheat HP525

Here we go....HP525 with about 120hrs:

Launched the boat, idled through a no wake zone for 3-4 minutes while watching the engine with the hatch open. Waited beyond the no wake zone for the engine temp gauge to read 120 ( another minute or so) and got on plane gently and cruised at 2500 RPM's.

About 2-3minutes later I noticed that the exhaust took on more of the deep rumble sound and while I reflected on how nice it sounded (about 30 sec.'s) the engine alarm went off and I immediately stopped and turned the engine off.

The engine compartment was smoking and smelling like burnt rubber when I opened the hatch. Luckily I friend was just passing by to give me a tow.

I am not sure what caused all this since the boat showed no signs of overheating before and this happened very quickly. Maybe a plastic bag covered the intake holes on the outdrive?

Check out the attached pic's. The engine seems fine (temp only went to about 220F). Mobil 1 VTwin synthetic...thank you. The oil and the CMI drain plugs seem fine.

Besides a rubber impeller (approx 60hrs. on it) and changing the melted exhaust hose what else should I look out for? As usual all the marinas are too busy to look at it for me.

How do I get the CMI's and the gelcoat on the transom back to their original luster?

Any input and/or advice is appreciated.

Jamal
Attached Thumbnails Overheat HP525-img_0701.jpg   Overheat HP525-img_0704.jpg   Overheat HP525-img_0699.jpg  

Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Registered

You should be ok, 220f should not cause any problem. As for the transom, that will polish out.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Registered

mine did the same a while back... i was lucky enough to have an impellor on board and changed it on the water... i was able to hold virtually all of the impellor pieces in my hand so i was confident there were none " down stream"... if you can find all the pieces the i would figure , as mentioned above, that you will be fine. if a lot is unaccounted for, you might want to go looking for them. also... would suggest you change other impellor if same age. cheap insurance.... my other was same age as first and was all cracked and due to fail soon.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by S4Hadi
Here we go....HP525 with about 120hrs

How do I get the CMI's and the gelcoat on the transom back to their original luster?

Any input and/or advice is appreciated.

Jamal
On & off hull & bottom cleaner.... Made by Marykate.
It will take all stains you have off. Use gloves... Spray it on wipe it in & wash off quick ! Works on scumlines also.

LS
Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is the culprit or was it the victim....who knows?

I found most(98%) of the rubber pieces in the hose connecting the Seawater Pump and the Fuel cooler. I have not had a chance to inspect the Fuel cooler itself yet, how difficult is it to remove? Is it necessary?

Jamal
Attached Thumbnails Overheat HP525-rubber-impelar-001.jpg   Overheat HP525-rubber-impelar-002.jpg