Bilge paint and stripper. >

Bilge paint and stripper.

Notices

Bilge paint and stripper.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge paint and stripper.

Whats the best thing to use to strip the paint in my bilge I also was wondering what the best thing/paint is for repaitning the bilge area. Would like to to back to white again. And whats the best bilge pump and blowers to use?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Why strip it??????

Just sand it to rough it up, then prime and paint over whats there.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you had a stripper painting your bilge!! You were going to be my new hero.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

At this moment Im re doing my bilge with Interlux Bilgecoat......very happy so far......do a search.......theres a quite a bit of info.......as posted above no need to strip.......justdegrease with degreaser or soap and water then wipe down with acetone and lots of rags then apply.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

AIRCRAFT STRIPPER work's great. apply and then cover with saran wrap. wear a mask. or better yet a freash air system if you can.

as for paint , AWL GRIP was designed for painting fiberglass/ commercial applicatiions. use their primer, then epxoy primer, then their topcoat. if you do the job right you can even wetsand the paint with 1500 grit paper and polish it out to a mirror like finish.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

I want to strip it because whenever you step in it all the black paint currently in there comes off on your shoes. Leaving the ugly red paint underneath. I dont want to put all this effort into repainting the bilge if its just gonna come off with this nasty black crap thats in there.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

I just got done cleaning out/powerwashing my bilge today. I am also having the same problem with the paint flaking and would like to strip it all down to the glass to ensure the new paint will not flake again. I was thinking about using Aircraft paint remover that I had laying around but was worried it was too strong and would react with the fiberglass? I use the stuff alot and its STRONG. Just want to be sure its ok before using it!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32HustSS
I just got done cleaning out/powerwashing my bilge today. I am also having the same problem with the paint flaking and would like to strip it all down to the glass to ensure the new paint will not flake again. I was thinking about using Aircraft paint remover that I had laying around but was worried it was too strong and would react with the fiberglass? I use the stuff alot and its STRONG. Just want to be sure its ok before using it!

Thats what I was wondering too. I dont want to ruin it. I am going to use a good degreaser and see what that does along with a pressure washer. Maybe most of it will come off.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

I found a 2" paint scraper as a handy tool for getting most of the loose stuff off. Have fun, I did! haha
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Registered

aircraft striper WILL NOT effect the hardened glasss. obviously just dont leave it on for like 3 days. cover it with saran wrap, let it cook and then test areas before removing.

also remember to wash the bilge with accetone before continuing on after the striper.
most paint chiping is due to poor adhesion and preperation. alot of it is residues and powder's. other is poor sanding.

Quick Reply: Bilge paint and stripper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.