Fuel cooler

Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, what if you have dual tanks?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the best place to pull from would be the coolest place you can find and should be before your other systems. The fuel even when "heated" should still be cooler than anything else (oil,intake charge etc) So running it after those systems could potentially have an adverse effect. I know Aeromotive sells a fuel pump controller for about 300 bucks which steps down the fuel pump voltage to provide a lower flow rate when not needed (ide/low rpm) and jumps it up to max at a user preset RPM. Being that its not screaming at max capacity at all times which is one of the main causes of "heated" fuel and overheated fuel inline pumps. Using a pump controller usually eliminates the need for a cooler and would work great in conjunction with one. Although, I'm very surprised you guys have issues with fuel temps because of the very large tanks involved with boating. This is VERY common with smaller fuel cells in high HP performance auto's. If you really want to get crazy and looking for a cool custom performance gain I have seen the use of CO2 systems used to cool fuel lines but it only works for as long as the bottle lasts so it wouldn't be the most efficient setup for something like a marine engine which is operated at max power for an extended period of time. This may work better if it was actually inside the tank rather than only cooling the supply line. By having a cooling effect on the entire fuel supply it should prolong the cooling capacity of a given amount of CO2 available.