Notices

AC problem

Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problem

Had a problem this weekend with my marine AC on my 358 Sonic. I can start the system and everything works fine, blows cold air and flows water out. It will run for about 10 mins and then the water will stop flowing and eventually the unit will shut off and give an error code. Does it sound like a water flow problem?(cleaned out strainer and found a small jellyfish but continued to have same problem after).
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
mbones
Platinum Member

check the pump .when you lose water flow the unit is triping out on high discharge press.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 509 Posts

i know certain models have an over heat protection that will shut the unit off...maybe the sensor is going bad or you could actually have a water flow problem. You can try running some muratic acid through the system to see if it will clean anything out that may be blockign the cooling passages in the AC unit....if its a March Pump that supply's the water you can run the muratic right through the pump as well. The parts in contact with the acid can take it with no problem....i know..we make the pumps!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Actually if you want to check the flow of water...heres a really simple way of doing it. When you go to start the system for the first time...grab a bucket and catch all the water you can for one minute....before the thing shuts itself off.
Depending on what pump you have on your system heres what the pumps "should" be putting out if plumbed with the correct size lines:

LC-2CP-MD = 5 gallons/min through 3/8" inlet and 1/4" outlet line
LC-3CP-MD = 8 gallons/min through 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlet line
LC-5CP-MD = 14 gallons/min through 1" inlet and 1/2" outlet line

Now if theres a smaller output line then whats listed above the output will be less.....and if you dont have the proper size inlet hose the output will be less as well...along with possible starvation and damage issues in the long run.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

When I start system everything seems to flow fine. What would cause the pump to stop working? Everything was factory installed by Sonic and has worked fine in the past. When I used it for the first time in the season I had to remove the hose from the pump to drain the anti freeze out and system worked fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe your pump is going bad and it takes about 10 min. before it locks up and shuts down, shutting down the AC?????

Just a thought, but it sounds like a water flow issue.

My Mermaid will shut the compressor down after 1 min of no water to cool. The fan and pump will still run though.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

unless it was run dry for an extended period of time or had some debree stuck inside causeing damage there should be no realy reason for the pump to fail.....they are very durable pumps........or if it wasnt winterized properly and the internal cooling tubes ruptured letting moisture intot he motor itself...

Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 703 Likes on 281 Posts

Try priming it with a hose.I had one that would pump but never be fully primed unless you hit it with a hose.The pumps if their like mine are bullet proof.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds like I need to flush the system. Hopefullty that will work.