Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Merc says 20-30 PSI at WOT

http://www.marinepartsman.com/Mercur...2001/EN_01.PDF
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Last .... I have checked the oil coolers and they are clear ...
Your setup is confusing....

Why do you have a hose coming from the raw water pump up to the thermostat housing, then a hose running from the thermostat housing back down to the crossover, then you have the bypass hose from the thermostat housing back down to the crossover.

Typically, any system with a crossover has water going from the raw water pump to the oil cooler, then a hose from the cooler "directly" to the crossover. If using a thermostat you then have a small bypass hose going from the crossover up to a "tri-y type of stainless neck on the intake manifold. From there the other two conections of the "tri-y" go to your exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Your setup is confusing....

Why do you have a hose coming from the raw water pump up to the thermostat housing, then a hose running from the thermostat housing back down to the crossover, then you have the bypass hose from the thermostat housing back down to the crossover.
I plumbed it the same way the SS (Merc) Housing is on some Merc motors ..... From the seapump thru the oil cooler and then into the Thermostat housing ...Then directly accross the housing to the Crossover .... The difference being no circ pump ...also no bypass ... it didnt work ...

Today I change the plumbing straight to the crossover and capped the 1.25 and 1.75 outlets ...
On the other motor I added the circ pump ... then ran both motors ....

The motor with the circ pump came up to 140* pretty quickly ....after a while it was at about 160 and settled there ... The heads were at 125* ..with my original setup they were 190*+ ... Pressure off the block was less than
10bs up to 2000 rpm .... at 4000 rmp was close to 30lbs ...

The crossover motor really never came up to ANY temp ..maybe 100* .. Pressure at the block was zero to 3lbs at 4000rpm ....head temp 95*
The circ pump motor seemed real comfortable .... The crossover motor seemed ok ... Prob no difference just in my mind warm is better ...old school I guess ...I'm thinking the crossovers with oil thermostats at 200*+ might work well .. m
Attached Thumbnails New motors Hot on Test stand ...-dsc00172.jpg   New motors Hot on Test stand ...-dsc00174.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 07-30-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried it w/o the bypass hose for chits and grins?

The T-stat housing has 4 internal chambers with sized openings to control flow direction to divert the flow depending on the Tstats status. Not sure you can mix and match a stock housing with a cross over. It's more complicated than it appears.

Just thinking outloud, but with the crossover and bypass hose setup, cold water will go up the bypass hose from teh cross over to the bottom of the t-stat giving it a false motor temp reading.

In the stock setup, water flows from the intake into the waterpump, (the opposite flow direction you are doing) and then is recirculated thru the motor.

A normal cross over/Tstat housing setup dumps the cold bypassed water from the cross over into the discharged side of the housing and out to the exhaust not effecting the Tstats workings.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jackhammer
Without the restrictor I was seeing 5-7lbs but it never got past 100*. With the restrictor I'm getting 115-120*. Oil stays right there with it. I was going to put a pressure relief valve on it for 25lbs... I could probably drill the restrictor out some to lower the pressure.
Drilling the restrictor larger to lower the pressure will make it even harder to get any temps. To much free flow with no time for the water to heat up.

Install the Merc press relief valve and you will be set. You can run a t-stat to control the temps, while the valve controls the pressure.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like US1 is on to something... but you'd think the cold water entering the manifold right under the t-stat might never let the t-stat open (?)

Is there a t-stat in the crossover motor?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Yes, that is throwing me off too. Then I was thinking that the cold bypassed water going into the intake and into the stat housing was also giving a false cold reading since both gauges would be reading this colder water, but also causing the stat to stay closed or at least not fully open which might account for the high engine temps reported in the original post.

I think it'd be easier to just install a T-stat housing made for such use. Even removing the bypass hose and the t-stat using the stock housing may be questionable do to the internal passages flow routing. I don't know.

BTW, I had the exact same extremely high pressure problems using the stock housing, pump, everything. My only cure was to install the relief valves before the stat housing. Both motors, same thing. It's a design flaw in my opinion. The older housing that used the brass tee/ball assembly was perfect.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 07-30-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jackhammer
Looks like US1 is on to something... but you'd think the cold water entering the manifold right under the t-stat might never let the t-stat open (?)

Is there a t-stat in the crossover motor?
No thermostat ...just the outer ring of the thermostat ..
I guess I'm still thinking the bypass will let water re circ thru the motor but US1 is right ..no way water is flowing down from the intake to the crossover against the sea pump pressure .... I will pull the bypass and see what we get .. m
Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Registered

Jackhammer .... what size restrictor you using ?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
No thermostat ...just the outer ring of the thermostat ..
I guess I'm still thinking the bypass will let water re circ thru the motor but US1 is right ..no way water is flowing down from the intake to the crossover against the sea pump pressure .... I will pull the bypass and see what we get .. m
It's hard to tell from the picture but is your bypass hose above or below the thermostat? If you are running a crossover with a thermostat and bypass the bypass hose "HAS" to be ABOVE the thermostat. It's purpose is to bypass the motor and feed water to your exhaust when the thermostat is closed. Once the thermostat is open the water will circulate thru the block and pass thru the thermostat.

You need to buy one of these; http://www.stainlessmarine.com/thermostat6.html

If you run the crossover without a thermostat you won't build any water temp and don't need the bypass hose.

Last edited by Panther; 07-31-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: New motors Hot on Test stand ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.