marine machine sea strainer lid >

marine machine sea strainer lid

Notices

marine machine sea strainer lid

Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marine machine sea strainer lid

What size is the hex nut on top of a Marine machine aluminum sea strainer. My sockets go up to 1-1/16 and it is too small. I think it is 1-1/8 but it is slighty rounded so I can't get a good measurement. And I must add that it is a poor design to expect a hex nut to transfer to torque required to loosen the lids. Looks like another winter project
Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is real tight, use a strap wrench. In many/most cases you will not get it loose with the hex nut on the lid. Going back on clean the threads real good, grease and tighten by hand lightly; I keep mine barely snug.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Strap wrench good idea !!!!

Thanks !!!
Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered

Smitty,

Measure the dimn. over the flats with a dial caliper. I can make you a custom wrench out of 6061 alum. for it. Give me a call: 847-526-9333

Mark S.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just put a vernier on the Marine Machine aluminum covers I CUT off last winter and the hex measures 1 1/8". The older covers have a very shallow hex. The replacements have much more engagement. The threads on the buckets and covers need to be clean with a ton of anti-seize on them. I now use a brass brush with Brake Kleen to clean them. Mine went 5-6 years with no problems until I wiped off a little too much antiseize cleaning the strainers out and then getting a little careless hosing down the bilge. Water got down into the threads and they seized up. The lids are aluminum and the buckets are stainless so they literally welded themselves together.An Impact wrench was useless with that shallow hex. As was a spanner wrench I welded up that had grade 8 bolts that caught the outer ends of the curved spokes to get maximum mechanical advantage. I welded a huge nut to the spanner wrench and two of us had a huge 3/4" drive ratchet set-up with a piece of pipe on the ratchet.Finally, I took the buckets out and carefully made a couple of cuts through each cover with a die grinder. The new replacement covers worked perfectly on my old buckets. MM also sells a rubber-coated six-point wrench to keep from messing up the annodizing. Not too tight was an excellent suggestion. My experience is not an isolated one. The were pictures of the removal of these on a race boat on this or another boating site last year where they used a big pipe wrench. I'm sure someone out there will take issue with this, but my comments should not be viewed as a criticism of MM. They make a very robust racing strainer.There have been many threads on sea strainers with all of them having both good and bad points. After years of working just fine, I caused my own problems. For what its worth....
Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the nylok hex wrench from Marine Machine thats made to fit them. It will not mess up the powder coat. Every couple of times i clean mine i put some white lithium grease on them. When i tighten them i just hit the wrench with the palm of my hand one time and one pop with my palm always loosens them up.
www.marinemachine.com

Last edited by ACTIVESHACK; 09-03-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Well Got a hold of an 1-1/8 6 point socket and got them off. had to use 1/2" air impact gun on one of them. Mark I will give you a call this week. Can you weld aluminum?? Maybe we can modify these somehow??

Thanks guys !!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

i just make mine hand tight, so its easier to get off, learned that the hard way.