496 EFI upgrades???? >

496 EFI upgrades????

Notices

496 EFI upgrades????

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 EFI upgrades????

What kind of upgrades can you do to a 496 EFI to get more power from it?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

yep, buy a blue motor from merc. The systems that are out for the 496 just certain to cost more when they go.

Have a friend that has tried Raylar and has blown 3 engines. Maybe some day he will just spend the money than waist it on trying to upgrade a motor that was just to be a safe motor for horse power.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to agree there.

Sell a healthy unmodified 496 motor for good $$$. Add to that the amount of money you would have spent at Raylar, CMI and your workshop, and you will get a brand new 0 hour 525EFI producing 560 crank HP every day, anywhere and just as long as you want. There is no other motor that is as bulletproof, looks so sexy and sounds so mean.....and that fits 1 to 1 in your Mercury prepped engine compartment.
I went from a 67 mph to an 80 mph boat, and when at the dock, people ask me what I run, and I can answer with Mercury racings "five and a quarter" or just lift the hatch, and smile.
Attached Thumbnails 496 EFI upgrades????-blue-motor-02.jpg   496 EFI upgrades????-525-motor-topfront-view.jpg  
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Might want to clarify here that Raylar kits number in the hundreds out there and we don't blow up motors. I would bet this is not a case of a customer just adding a Raylar kit to a stock 496 and there may be some other circumstances. There are some people out their who have done their own buildups or buildups with other engine builders using our kits with other rebuild or changes and had problems with their motors, but I doubt this is a customer who just bolted on a Raylar kit and had problems. Lets clarify and get the facts before we bash Raylar product here on the forum! As for the HP525, its a great all blueprinted , forged internals motor and if you have a spare $30K to buy one its a great motor. Take your stock 496HO or (Mag with Ecm reprogram), bolt on a Raylar 103 kit with a good exhaust like Dana or CMI and you have a 560HP motor for about $12k labor included and you have a great reliable motor for a huge savings in your spare change!

If you want all forged and blueprinted our HO525 or HO600 engines will cost you $13,866.00 plus shipping for the complete long motor (less accessories) with all Raylar forged internals. Add a good set of headers and you have a good bullet proof motor just like the Merc racing HP525 for just under $20K and it comes with a one year warranty just like Merc.

anybody can call me toll free @(866) 496-8181 and I will give them 25 or so boaters they can call for a real referral on their Raylar kit usage.

Lets just keep the facts straight here on the forum!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

The person I am talking about is Lee from Wisconsin Dells Wi. He just trashed another engine this weekend .
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Registered

Not saying about all Raylar, just said 496 is a good starter engine. That is a fact.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What is it that actually broke on these three motors?

Originally Posted by satisfied1
The person I am talking about is Lee from Wisconsin Dells Wi. He just trashed another engine this weekend .
Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I know Lee from Wisconsin with a Baja. He has been building his own motors with our parts and it is equipped with our top end kit. I wish now I had talked him into letting us build his complete engine, I think it would still be running today from nearly two years ago. sorry for his problems.

Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got several happy customers out there running the Raylar kits. They produce the power advertised and have proved very dependable. One has over 150 hours since the upgrade and runs it very hard. It's been trouble free.

I'd be interested to know what the failures have been. To blow 3 motors makes one wonder as to the cause. GM pretty well demonstrated the durability of the 496 in their HP3 offshore engines. They got beat hard and seemed to stay together pretty well.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered

Not sure what happend last weekend ,just don't sound good. Like I said not trashing your stuff. I know the last one he had problems with the number 1 cylinder

Quick Reply: 496 EFI upgrades????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.