Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
BBC distributor upgrade >

BBC distributor upgrade

Notices

BBC distributor upgrade

Old 09-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dump the points. They were great in about..ohh..1960 or so. Seriously old tech. Electronic dissy upgrades are inexpensive and worth every penny.

Darrell.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure if you do dump the points dist. that you make sure the purple (+) wire isnt a resistance wire. It has to be clean 12volts.

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 09-12-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crusader Marine has a Prestolite Chevrolet distributor that has breakerless ignition. Looks stock and Coast Guard approved.
I also have had good luck with Delco HEI if you have the room.
I adjust the advance curve and do not use the vacuum advance.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 245 limited
OK, I am also looking for stock merc stuff if anyone has upgraded distributors.
TB 4 with the V-6 Module. simple to install, very rarely fails, and its stock Merc stuff.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02
1) Your points distributor is not the original. So it was probably not tuned or maintained well.
2) A T bolt, DUI, MSD, etc distributor will give you no improvement over a well tuned points distributor. They will not need yearly maintainence though.
3) You wont need to improve your ignition unless you supercharge or go with a REALLY big cam.

So, in terms of options (by cost/engine).
1) Buy a condenser, points and a dwell meter. Set your dwell, then timing. ($30)
2) Buy an electronic conversion kit ($150) BTW, these seem to be somewhat unreliable.
3) Buy a DUI and replace distriutor. ($300)
4) Buy a T bolt distributor and module, replace distributor ($600).
5) Buy an aftermarket hi performance istributor & module from MSD, Crane, etc ($750)
Your top speed, acceleration, idle, etc will be the same with ay of these options on your engine.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdoactive
My $0.02
1) Your points distributor is not the original. So it was probably not tuned or maintained well.
2) A T bolt, DUI, MSD, etc distributor will give you no improvement over a well tuned points distributor. They will not need yearly maintainence though.
3) You wont need to improve your ignition unless you supercharge or go with a REALLY big cam.

1) Buy a condenser, points and a dwell meter. Set your dwell, then timing. ($30)
2) Buy an electronic conversion kit ($150) BTW, these seem to be somewhat unreliable.
5) Buy an aftermarket hi performance istributor & module from MSD, Crane, etc ($750)
Your top speed, acceleration, idle, etc will be the same with ay of these options on your engine.
Great break down...

My experience with #2 is that they do not work for vary long.
As I stated in my earlier post, I like option #3.
MSD also makes a "ready to run" dist like DUI for about $400.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 245 limited
I have extreme boats and powerboat, but not hot boat, anyone have a link?
Try these folks http://pertronix.com/index.htm if not them, they will most likely be able to direct you to someone...
Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by rdoactive
My $0.02

Kind of how I am now looking at it, I guess if I plan to leave the engines alone right now the points will be fine, I just like the idea of electronic reliability, then again, the point ignition has been in this boat for 21 yrs!

I am going to do new points next weekend, i cannot go to the boat this weekend, how do I set the dwell? I had a friend help me last time on a different boat when I did new points.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Registered

Dui
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you decide to keep the points, make certain that the shaft bushing is not worn allowing your dwell to fluctuate. Some old points distributors are pretty sloppy in this department.

Quick Reply: BBC distributor upgrade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.