454/MCM Trans/TRS - Died and Won't Turn >

454/MCM Trans/TRS - Died and Won't Turn

Notices

454/MCM Trans/TRS - Died and Won't Turn

Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 454/MCM Trans/TRS - Died and Won't Turn

Had an interesting experience this evening. While running 5k RPM, I experienced a grinding/shrieking noise, which sounded as if something had gotten caught in the engine belts. The engine promptly lost power and shut itself down. Furthermore, it will not crank, the starter engages, but the crank does not turn. My immediate thought was hydrolock, though I have pulled the plugs and there is absolutely zero water on them or coming out the plug holes. The boat has a closed cooling system, and its reservoir is still full. The oil level is within range and shows no sign of water. The transmission fluid is full. The gear oil is full in the drive reservoir and the drive turns freely. What's going on and what can I do? I suspect that it is a transmission failure and it locked up causing the engine to lock as well. Any ideas? The boat is 26' Corsa with a fresh 454/500+HP engine with Brodix aluminum heads, has approximately 80 hours on it. Stainless Marine dry exhaust, MSD ignition, Kieth Eickert remote oil filter, all top shelf parts. I'm at a loss. Help!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Siezed, timing chain broke or spun rod or main bearings/broke crank. Sorry but it all sounds bad from here.... At least summer is almost over??? (
Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered

Summer is not over, it's Florida. Season is just beginning. Keep in mind, oil was okay, water was okay, temperature was okay . . . doesn't make sense.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine made similar symptoms when the trust bearing went.
And the time before when the springs failed, dropped into a piston, seized it, and broke the crank. Have you looked at the springs in the heads yet? Carder
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

I'm still trying to get all eight plugs out

The rain here in South Florida is unbearable.

First I want to get all the plugs out, try and turn it over and see. Then I'll take the covers off and check the heads. Then its off to someone who knows what they're doing on Monday.

The nice thing is, I have a fresh 496 cubic inch stroker motor on the stand in my shop. I might redo the Brodix aluminum heads from this motor and swap them onto that one . . . should be a 700HP monster with that setup.

B.reak O.ut A.nother T.housand!

Harry