Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo 1, gimble/transom pivot point pic? >

Bravo 1, gimble/transom pivot point pic?

Notices

Bravo 1, gimble/transom pivot point pic?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bravo 1, gimble/transom pivot point pic?

Anyone have a cut away picture of the gimble steering pin, that goes into the transom assembly? Looks like a hex. or square pin going into a hex,\ square sleeve on top of the gimble. My have to much play. I like to see a cut away picture, or part pic. to see really whats going on.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole through the gimble and inserting a pin or screw to keep it tight untill I get the ext. steering in.

Thanks .. P
Old 09-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have a pic, but it is a square spline. Much of the play develops in the connection of the shaft to the gimble ring. Shaft is steel and the ring aluminum. corrosion of aluminum part excellerates the process. As this continues the ring begins to lower. As it lowers it begins to side load the engine coupler.
I doubt a pin or screw while do anything giving the loads that will be on it. Plus the shavings may damage the seal and allow water in further contributing to your problem. My two cents.
Jim
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's the problem, probably your best bet:
http://www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm
Old 09-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

THanks Jim. I tighten the hack out of the two bolts. The steering tightened up a bit but it's still loose and I am sure it will get worse. OK for a few hours I guess. I will replace the pins. I just didn't want to pul the motors. (not many good tech's. around here.)

Handfulz... THanks for the link.. That may be a better option then to pul out the motors. I have to do some more reading how to change those pins before I attempt it. But I will give it a shot. I'm buying ext steering anyways.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering arm to shaft section is square as well as the larger gimbal ring to shaft section.
The nuts on the u-bult clamping the gimbal ring to the shaft are supposed to be re-tightened at least once a year. This is often overlooked resulting excessive play after a couple of years