overheating and water in the bilge >

overheating and water in the bilge

Notices

overheating and water in the bilge

Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
There are a bout a dozen clamps on the pressure side of raw water. You better go and check before weekend. Water pump is low on starboard side of engine, hose connect to bottom of exhaust manifold and up to cooler across back of motor. From the cooler hose leads down again to oil cooler and exhaust manifold than lower still to fuel cooler. Hose from fuel cooler leads to front of engine and up to heat exchanger.
Hope for an easy one. I will pray for you.
Jim
Yes, please pray for me. I sincerely thank you for all of your input.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Tech was supposed to go out today but the weather sucked so I'm still waiting and praying.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

It's a bit(h but you should be able to replace every water hose on the motor with it in the boat..... The last 2 years I've worked with some buddies doing ALL our own work (rebuilt 7 engines last winter) I've learned it may take awhile, but you can get it done.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Fatdaddy:

Before you start replacing things, check the pressure relief valves on the water system. If you trace the small white and orange plastic lines down to the bottom of the motor you will end up at a brass valve assemblies(may be partially painted black by Merc). These are dump for winterization and pressure relief valves and we have seen them stick open and fill the bilge with the raw water from the pump very quickly and overheat the engine. Find these valves, start the engine quickly and see if they are dumping. Might be your problem.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a main water line under the engine is off or as ray said the dump is stuck.

by thw way do you have sea strainers?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
sounds like a main water line under the engine is off or as ray said the dump is stuck.

by thw way do you have sea strainers?
No sea strainers.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Fatdaddy:

Before you start replacing things, check the pressure relief valves on the water system. If you trace the small white and orange plastic lines down to the bottom of the motor you will end up at a brass valve assemblies(may be partially painted black by Merc). These are dump for winterization and pressure relief valves and we have seen them stick open and fill the bilge with the raw water from the pump very quickly and overheat the engine. Find these valves, start the engine quickly and see if they are dumping. Might be your problem.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered

fat daddy...
not trying to be a cynic here but , while all the advice above is all good and correct in all respects, im a little mystified why you feel people hundreds of miles ( or maybe even 1000's of miles ) away can possibly know more than you just getting down in there and actually using your own two eyeballs to see where the water is actually coming from. granted... it might not be easy or pleasant but, in the end, its whats going to have to happen anyway.... everything else is just postponing the inevitable and wasting time.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
fat daddy...
not trying to be a cynic here but , while all the advice above is all good and correct in all respects, im a little mystified why you feel people hundreds of miles ( or maybe even 1000's of miles ) away can possibly know more than you just getting down in there and actually using your own two eyeballs to see where the water is actually coming from. granted... it might not be easy or pleasant but, in the end, its whats going to have to happen anyway.... everything else is just postponing the inevitable and wasting time.
Are you kidding me? Not trying to be a cynic? What is it then that you are trying to be? Did you read my 1st post? Man, I can't even believe I have to respond to your ill fated advice. The boat is not at my residence but rather at my summer place, which I could not get to until the following weekend, which coincidently, is when I needed it up & running. Unfortunately, my arms aren't that long but if yours are I'm sure I can find some use for them. Again, I'm dumbfounded. This is a technical forum, which was created for members seeking information, which I rec'd and sincerely appreciated.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

The culprit, a torn hose, was fixed on Sat. a.m.. It ran perfectly again. Thanks to all, except one , who replied.

Quick Reply: overheating and water in the bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.