Notices

Pre Lubers

Old 09-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welllllllllllll... not really. if the oil pressure gage comes up you have oil everywhere that is pressure oiled. certainly none of the places that are splash oiled but all the oil galleries are full and pressured including the cam, crank and lifters.

pre lubers work well and are a good idea and worth doing on any engine you actually care about. a better idea are accumulators like the accusump and its variants that will protect the motor in a surge condition. there is another post running here about drysumps and the accumulator technology evolved to solve those issues in catagories where dry sump was not allowed and are a good idea here as well.

i spin my motors on the starter until the oil press comes up before i start them... not great for the bats and starter but better i feel better than starting them " dry" especially after sitting for a week or two.

i would be a LOT smarter following my own advice and doing an accumulator/preluber...

and i will
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Registered

How difficult are the pre-lubers to install? What is the price and brands that you would recommend? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Registered

the only systems i ever worked with were the accusumps. that system takes system pressure and stores it. others, i understand now, use small electrically driven pumps... my suggestion would be to go to google and read everything there is to read about all of them.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

Default Pre Lubers

They can be very simple to install. Mine enter the oil system with a T just at the filter base. Pretty simple. I use Masterlube. Call Kerry @ 800/765-1243 or www.masterlube.net. He can answer any and all questions. They have been great to deal with.

The main thing you have to make sure you do is make all your fittings leak proof. That's really not a problem if you pay attention.

Call Kerry, he's the man !
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 448 Likes on 219 Posts

Wouldn't your typical marine engine wear out for other reason way before cold start up wear would? Seems like high sustained RPM's, Harsh Marine Environments, lack of regular maintenance, poor quality oils, would kill a motor or at least require a rebuild long before repeated cold starts would?

Let's face it, the modern marine motor is a tough cookie. A brief low pressure oil situation and cold metal parts isn't exactly the kiss of death for a motor.

Pre-lubers, to me, seem like more hardware, more weight, and another point of potential leakage. Keep em simple. The big marine builders seem to think that way.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

you think so ? i don't believe i have EVER heard a professional engine builder say that having oil pressure BEFORE you start a dry motor isn't as good as just firing it up and waiting for the gage to move..

everything will survive for some period of time no mater how you abuse it. point here is that the systems are compact, cheap and SOLVE a genuine and real issue. if you have any mechanical empathy then you do the right things to keep your hardware alive.

this is one of those things.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from a US Army document regarding diesel engines used for remote or emergency electric power
generation:

Consult the diesel engine manufacturer's manual provided with the engine for proper operating procedures and normal operating conditions. The operating procedures described below provide a general overview of diesel engine operation.

a. Prior to starting:
Prior to starting, the engine prelube pump should be operated to ensure proper lubrication of the bearing surfaces. The prelube pump for a standby unit should be operated on a regular basis to maintain engine in "ready to start" condition. All engine auxiliary systems should be checked to verify proper status for engine operation. Failure to properly prelube the engine prior to starting can result in damage to engine components and significantly decrease engine life.

May be engines sitting for a longer periods of time without being used can benefit if being prelubed before start up ?
By the way not all boat engines are used on a regular basis, sometimes they sit for months, so may be it is a good idea to prelube before startup when the engine has not been used for some time ?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I bought my boat with them already installed. A couple people have told me to remove them. Since they are there I use them, but I don't think I ever would have installed them.
The people that told you to get rid them, did they tell you why to get rid of the prelubers ?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

Up the dosage stevesxm...the tranquility of Sint Maarten is apparently doing you no good
Or perhaps those Merc engineers you so vehemently support in another thread just dropped the ball on prelubers and cold start issues? Please, please somebody save the tens of billions of internal combustion engines around the world screaming for mercy because they're not getting prelubed.
Oh wait...what was the
Originally Posted by stevesxm
genuine and real issue
that needs solving here? Oh yeah, my 16yr old/1151hr motors that don't burn oil and still have great compression are a miracle because they haven't been prelubed since the day they were built...

Not trying to bash prelubers and accumulators here, they definitely have a place. Prelubers can make oil changes a breeze And any system that provides an emergency supply of pressurized oil is worth its weight in gold if/when it prevents a major catastrophe.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered

no. its the skill of those engineers that actually know what they are doing that have allowed those motors to last that long in the hands of buttheads that don't know how to treat a good piece of hardware.

i know now that its stupid to consider doing something that will help everything last longer as opposed to doing nothing at all.

i don't know how i could have missed that when i was studying engineering.

ill bet you drill holes in your thermostats, and run those additives that let you drain all the oil right out of your motor , right ?

Quick Reply: Pre Lubers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.